Wednesday, December 4, 2013

NBR Winners!


What the hell is going on here?  I didn’t see this coming at all, and I have to say that if awards season is going to be this crazy this year, I’m SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED!  I mean, these don’t mirror the NYFCC in any way shape or form, and they don’t make any sort of sense but I’ll take them.

I can’t wait to see HER!!!

So, let’s just get right into this.  This year is going to be VERY interesting!


BEST FILM

HER
TOP TEN

12 Years a Slave
Fruitvale Station
Gravity
Inside Llewyn Davis
Lone Survivor
Nebraska
Prisoners
Saving Mr. Banks
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Wolf of Wall Street

DIRECTOR

Jonze/HER
BREAKTHROUGH DIRECTOR

Coogler/FRUITVALE STATION
LEAD ACTOR

Dern/NEBRASKA
LEAD ACTRESS

Thompson/SAVING MR. BANKS

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Forte/NEBRASKA

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Spencer/FRUITVALE STATION

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCES

Exarchopoulos/BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR

Jordan/FRUITVALE STATION

ANIMATED FILM

THE WIND RISES

ENSEMBLE

PRISONERS

FOREIGN FILM

THE PAST

TOP FIVE

Beyond the Hills
Gloria
The Grandmaster
A Hijacking
The Hunt

DOCUMENTARY

STORIES WE TELL

TOP FIVE

20 Feet from Stardom
The Act of Killing
After Tiller
Casting By
The Square

TOP TEN INDEPENDENT FILMS

Ain’t Them Bodies Saints
Dallas Buyers Club
In a World…
Mother of George
Much Ado About Nothing
Mud
The Place Beyond the Pines
Short Term 12
Sightseers
The Spectacular Now

And of course, it couldn’t be left at that.  No, in a way they had to pass the love to more films just in case Oscar decides to bite in other directions and so they gave a special award to Scorsese and DiCaprio for their ‘collaborations’ and a special technical award to ‘Gravity’ as well as a ‘freedom of expression’ award to ‘Wadjda’.

What does this mean?  ‘Fruitvale’ and ‘Nebraska’ got major boosts here, not to mention some highbrow and unexpected support of 'Her'.  I have a feeling they didn’t see ‘American Hustle’.  Jordan is very much in this race, and I think many are underestimating how much of an impact ‘Fruitvale Station’ is going to have on the Oscar race in general.  Also, this is two major wins in a row for ‘The Wind Rises’ and 'Stories We Tell', not to mention a snub for 'Blackfish'…

And we do it all again tomorrow!!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm happy for Her as it's the one film that I really, really, really want to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So with you...I can't wait to see that movie!

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy for Her and I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving that ensemble nod for Prisoners. I loved that movie so much. Now I'm even more excited to see Her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to see Prisoners. I'm wondering if it will be a bigger player than I anticipated. It seems to be well liked.

      Delete
  4. Thrilled for Her, which could make the cut at the Oscars. I'm bummed that Before Midnight was left off the indie list, but I'll second the love for Prisoners showing up twice. I could see Gyllenhaal, screenplay, and cinematography happening at the Oscars, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if Prisoners can make a pretty big play with Oscar...at least more than we're anticipating.

      Delete