Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Jared Leto calls Fassbender and Phoenix "ridiculous"...


I don't think many people in their right minds are doubting a Jared Leto Oscar victory at this point.  He has everything going for him (role, career resurgence, transformative performance, raves, deglam) not to mention the fact that he's pretty much won everything so far.  But, just in case you think he may lose, check out his comments on the Oscar game.  He's a smart, smart man; and where his peers have on occasion balked at the Oscar campaign or even criticized the Oscars themselves, Leto shows nothing but humility and complete gratitude for all that he's experienced so far this year.  

I especially love this bit:

"They had done it before, so I guess they have every right to complain about it, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to complain about celebrating art and creativity and your peers.  It's certainly better than not celebrating each other. I've been a part of a lot of films where we all had high hopes and things just didn't turn out the way you had expected or dreamed that they would. When they do turn out in a way that works, and people celebrate, I think it's a wonderful thing to acknowledge that. This hasn't been anything but a joy so far."

 Bravo to him and his attitude...and his hair!

10 comments:

  1. "I think it's kind of ridiculous to complain about celebrating art and creativity" I love that. Go Jared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree w/ Leto about the Oscars. He's still a fucking dick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see that at all. I mean, he was asked about something and gave his honest opinion, and he didn't berate them as people or as talents, he just 'set it straight'.

      Delete
  3. Sati pointed out something on Twitter about this - that Leto shouldn't call anyone ridiculous because he's in his 40's and wears eye liner. I thought that was funny. Anyways, I kind of his get point, but I'm still not 100% sure on how actors "campaign" for their Oscar nominations anyways. I keep meaning to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think attacking Leto for his statement here shows pure fanboyism, to be honest. I've said this on the AW forums, but despite the fact that I actually prefer Fassbender and Phoenix as actors (and quite honestly, I'd place Fassbender in my top ten actors of all time list ATM, he's that good), Leto has shown far more class. I mean, last year when Phoenix made those statements about the Oscars the whole internet was telling him to shut the fuck up, but now that Leto agrees with us publicly, he's a dick? Most of the people taking issue with his statements here seem to be really big fans of Fassbender or of '12 Years a Slave' in general.

      Let's separate personal feelings for a minute here.

      His statements weren't even harsh. He just said that we should be celebrating our peers and our movies and be joyous when they get attention because it validates the effort put into it. He's 100% right.

      Oh, and campaigning has a lot to do with showing up at industry events and making the circuit (talk shows and what not) in promotion of the film itself.

      Delete
    2. I'm not attacking Leto at all, I just found the statement amusing. Phoenix showing up to all of these events last year kind of defeated the purpose of his rant. I honestly thought he'd boycott all of them.

      That's what they mean by campaigning? When I think of that word, I think of telling people to specifically "vote" for me, not "hey go out and see my movie." When Monique talked about the politics during her win, it kind of threw me off.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I didn't think you were attacking him at all. That wasn't a statement directed at you, so I'm sorry if it came across that way.

      Delete
  4. I love his attitude, and I'm fine with him winning. He just misses my lineup, but he's fantastic in DBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is really the only reason I want to see DBC

      Delete