Monday, December 2, 2013

Annie Awards Nominations


So, there are a lot of categories here and not all pertain to film, and not all the ones that do have much to do with Oscar prognosticating (like, Paul Giamatti snagging a nomination here for his voice-work in 'Turbo' will have no effect on the race) so I'm not going to list them all (but you can see each category here).  But, it's worth noting the nomination count for the films in contention for Oscar this year.

Frozen - 10
Monsters University - 10
Despicable Me 2 - 9
The Croods - 9
Ernest & Celestine - 6
Turbo - 6
Epic - 5
The Wind Rises - 3
A Letter to Momo - 1
Planes - 1

I think we can count out 'Planes' and 'A Letter to Momo' from the race, and I think we can call 'Frozen' and 'Monsters University' are mortal locks at this point...but I'm completely up in the air for the rest of these.  I mean, I could see any combination of the remaining six for the remaining three slots.

So, here are a few of the categories:

Best Animated Feature
A Letter to Momo
Despicable Me 2
Ernest & Celestine
Frozen
Monsters University
The Croods
The Wind Rises

I think that our Oscar top five is going to be made of of these nominees here, which means that two of them have to fail, and since I've already deemed 'A Letter to Momo' out of the competition, that means that we really only have to work one of these out of the picture.  I'm betting it'll be 'The Croods'.

Best Animated Short Subject
Despicable Me 2 – Puppy

Get A Horse!

Gloria Victoria
My Mom is an Airplane
The Numberlys

Only two of these are eligible with Oscar.  Having seen 'Get a Horse!' I can say that it is probably our frontrunner, and I have a feeling this may be the year of Disney!

Directing in an Animated Feature Production
Chris Sanders, Kirk DeMicco / The Croods
 
David Soren / Turbo
Chris Wedge / Epic
Benjamin Renner, Vincent Patar, St├ęphane Aubier / Ernest & Celestine

Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee / Frozen


The Miyazaki snub here is strange, and the Wedge nomination is even stranger.

Music in an Animated Feature Production
Alan Silvestri / The Croods
Henry Jackman / Turbo

Mark Mothersbaugh / Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2

Heitor Pereira, Pharrell Williams / Despicable Me 2

Danny Elfman / Epic
Randy Newman / Monsters University

Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez, Christophe Beck / Frozen

Dominic Lewis / Free Birds

So they basically nominated every score from every animated film this year.  'Frozen' is the only one I can see entering the Oscar race though, and it would be deserving.

Writing in an Animated Feature Production
Daniel Pennac / Ernest & Celestine

Daniel Gerson, Robert L. Baird, Dan Scanlon / Monsters University
Miyazaki Hayao / The Wind Rises
Jennifer Lee / Frozen


I don't see any of these making a dent with Oscar, although 'Frozen' is deserving.

Editorial in an Animated Feature Production
Darren Holmes / The Croods
 
James Ryan / Turbo

Fabienne Alvarez-Giro / Ernest & Celestine 
Greg Snyder, Gregory Amundson, Steve Bloom / Monsters University
Jeff Draheim / Frozen

I'm assuming that this is their editing award.  Again, Oscar won't bite here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what this means for the Oscars. I'm not ready to give up on Pixar's chances, but Frozen is a legit contender. By the way, I saw Frozen, and I really enjoyed it. It doesn't make my top 10, but it has a great chance of being my choice for Best Animated Feature Film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Frozen, it's feels like such a return to form that I can't see Pixar winning with lesser reviews, especially after they robbed Disney last year. Besides, it has the Original Song category semi-locked up at this point, so that will bode well for it.

      Delete