Friday, December 20, 2013

9 Foreign Film Finalists...


Well, it seems rather appropriate that I just reviewed 'The Hunt', since this list rather confirms it'll win the Oscar (unless Italy gains momentum), with both Iran's 'The Past' and the current frontrunner 'Wadjda' absent from the list.  We all knew that despite 'Blue is the Warmest Color' being the undisputed Foreign Language champ of the year, it was ineligible for the Oscar, so it's omission is no surprise.

But here are the 9 finalists:

The Broken Circle Breakdown from Belgium
An Episode in the Life of Iron Picker from Bosnia
The Grandmaster from Hong Kong
The Great Beauty from Italy
The Hunt from Denmark
The Missing Picture from Cambodia
The Notebook from Hungary
Omar from Palestine
Two Lives from Germany

I think it's safe to say that 'The Broken Circle Breakdown', 'The Great Beauty' and 'The Hunt' are in.  It's deciding the other two nominations that is going to be difficult.  I would, at the moment, go with 'Two Lives' and 'The Missing Picture', but 'The Grandmaster' made it much further than I expected, so maybe it'll sneak in here.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't realize they narrowed it down this far. Going from nine to five seems a little silly. There are some picks in this group for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they've been doing this since 2006 I believe. I've only seen 'The Hunt' of these, but I have the rest in my Netflix queue for when they are released.

      Delete
  2. The only film in that list I've seen is The Grandmaster in 2 different versions. The one I recommend is the full-length 130 minute Chinese cut. Avoid the 108-minute U.S. cut which is filled with too much exposition titles and cuts out a lot of the film's heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen The Hunt. I'm not sure what version of The Grandmaster I'll get from Netflix, but I have a sad feeling it'll be the cut one.

      Delete
  3. I think The Grandmaster gets in, but who knows? I just want The Hunt to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a strong feeling it will...unless The Great Beauty makes a run for it.

      Delete