Thursday, November 7, 2013

Trailer Break: Winter's Tale


Well, it was at one time my most anticipated films of 2013, and then they moved it back to 2014 (Valentine's Day, to be exact) and my excitement wavered (does that mean it sucks?) but finally the trailer is here and I have to say, I'm suffering a mix of wonder and concern.  Having read the novel, and LOVED it, I was initially concerned with how this story was going to be told and the integrity of it kept.  The trailer obviously modernizes the second half of the story (the book was written in the 80's and this is clearly a modern age adaptation) and yet I'm not entirely bothered by that.  There is something overtly romantic about this trailer, the song, the roving eyes, and in such a contained space Crowe's performance worries me (although his accent work is spotless) and yet with a trailer in sight my anticipation is growing.  Could this be epic?  The director scares me (his track record is abominable, despite his Oscar) but the source material is SO GOOD!  

It sure does look pretty.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's going to fucking suck. I hate Akiva Goldsman. I think he's a hack writer and I will never forgive him for nearly destroying Batman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say I disagree with you with regards to Goldsman, although I don't hate his screenplay for A Beautiful Mind at all and don't loathe his win as much as most do (I even nominate him). Still, I fear he's going to ruin this story.

      Delete
  2. The trailer does make it look romantic, so the Valentines Day slot seems apt for it. I am going to check out the book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book has romantic notes, for sure, and at the end of the day it is a love story, but this seems almost TOO focused on that singular aspect of the story.

      Also, the more I think about the modernizing of the second part the more I dislike that direction. But, we'll see how it pans out.

      Delete
  3. I didn't watch the trailer, since I plan on reading the book first. MUST get on that!

    ReplyDelete