Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Joe Wright + Peter Pan = One Excited Blogger


Over here at A Fistful of Films, we love Joe Wright.  The rest of the world may not wholly agree, but I could give a fuck.  His body of work, aside from that horrendous 'The Soloist', is pure perfection personified, and his name alone gets me excited to go to the movies.  For as much as I love him...I haven't seen a single one of his films in the theater!  I know, right!  All of that will change with his next project, not just because I want it to, but because 'Peter Pan' is kind of an obsession in my household and my kids are going to go apeshit for this.  Yes, according to Variety, Wright has confirmed that his next project is going to be an adaptation of J. M. Barrie's beloved classic, 'Peter Pan'.  I've been thinking for quite some time that this story needed to be retold, and after reading Barrie's novel last year (it is a masterpiece), this has such potential to skew older and really be a dark and profound 'tale'.  I'd love to see it explored with some depth as well as beauty, which is something that Wright is good for.  Casting this will be essential, since they cannot grab child actors who are too old for their roles and yet they can't skew too young and lose out on the depth of performance because of it.  

I'm anticipating some real 'finds' here.

Wright apparently is going through a Disney faze right now (actually, neither story is of Disney origin, but was only made famous by the master of imagination), because reports have been flying for over two years that he was planning to follow up 'Hanna' with a live action adaptation of 'The Little Mermaid', another project that I'm anxious to see come to life.  As much as Wright is known for his period realness, these Disney classics seem like a perfect fit for his knack for visual grandeur and lush, emotional romanticism.  

What are your thoughts?  Are you intrigued by the idea of Wright taking on these classics?  Which one intrigues you more?

4 comments:

  1. I do like Joe Wright though I was really disappointed by Anna Karenina as I hope he does something new to tell the story. Just as long as he doesn't put in Keira Knightley in the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of those rare people who loved the hell out of Anna Karenina, although I find it the weaker of his period pieces. I can't wait to see what he does with this. Maybe he'll give Knightley a cameo as one of the mermaids ;-)

      Delete
  2. This is terrific news! I've always loved Peter Pan, and The Little Mermaid would also be a great venture for Wright. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm totally first in line for BOTH of these ventures.

      Delete