Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Breaking Emotions: Love & Hate


Sadly, this is the last week for Mettel Rays Breaking Emotions blog-a-thon.  It’s been a great time, and I wish that it were longer, but the end is here.  I’m feeling a tad rushed this week, with the Holiday cutting into everything, but here we are regardless and I’ve come up with what may be my favorite groupings so far, so they say you save the best for last and…I guess that happened here as well.

Let’s just get into Love & Hate now!!!




I decided to stick with a theme this week, and with my heart still full of joy from my experience last night with ‘Frozen’, I’m just going to go with musicals and leave it at that.  I LOVE MUSICALS and thankfully I was able to find three musicals that encompass many other things I love about the movies!  So, in no real particular order.

The Young Girls of Rochefort


Yes, first of all it’s a musical.  Second of all it’s French (and I’ve been pretty vocal about those being my favorite).  Third, it’s bright, colorful, cheery and just everything that makes me smile.  But the reason I chose this particular film and this particular scene is because it has one of the coolest opening scenes I’ve ever seen.  I love a good opening scene.  Recent films like ‘Inglourious Basterds’ and ‘The Social Network’ have made the most of their first impressions.  ‘The Young Girls of Rochefort’ has an amazing opening number, one that I will never forget, and it sets the perfect stage for this delightful film.

Pennies from Heaven


Yes, this is also a musical.  But there is more to this film.  It contains a truly heartfelt and bittersweet narrative, and I love a film that can strike a balance between humor (or charm) and honest drama.  The nostalgic atmosphere, the ode to old Hollywood and the ACTRESSING are all major pluses; not to mention it gave Steve Martin a chance to prove he can act (and act VERY well I might add).  But the reason I chose this particular scene is because it gives me something I absolutely adore; scene stealing cameos!  Yes, the great Christopher Walken as one scene in this film, and it is an unexpected scene chewing awesome scene that is probably my favorite in the whole film (and I love the hell out of this movie).

Frozen


(no, the actual scene is not available on YouTube yet, but here is the song)


Again, it’s a musical!  But this is also Disney, which is always a plus for me, and something I truly love.  It also made my children the happiest children in all the land last night, so more love right there!  This scene though is just magic on celluloid and encompasses one of the greatest things about film; emotion!  Yes, I love those big emotional ballads in or outside of film, but with ‘Let it Go’, Disney marches all over my inner child and claims my adulthood in a swift swoop.


So, like with the ‘Love’ emotion, I’m sticking to a theme here…some connective tissue.  This time, we’re going with injustice.  Honestly, nothing gets me more frustrated and angry than injustice.  So, I found three different clips from different films that portray a different type of injustice.  Again, these are in no particular order.

The Ox-Bow Incident

You can watch the clip here


Not only is this injustice, but this is clear ignorance and I loathe ignorance.  This whole movie makes me so frustrated and angry, but this scene is a clear indicator of what is to come and how reason is beyond this pack of wild animals.  The fact that this is based on a true story is all the more upsetting.

Irreversible


I honestly advise you NOT to watch the clip attached, but since YouTube actually had it I figured I’d attach it.  It’s horrible, gross, loathsome and, yes, unjust.  It’s also a clear depiction of someone taking full advantage of a weaker person, and I HATE that.  This scene is disgusting.

Boys Don’t Cry


I could have easily gone with the finale, where Brandon is murdered, but that would have been too obvious.  I could have also gone with her rape, but again…obvious.  No, for me the worst and most unjust scene in the film is the confrontation scene, the humiliation that she is put through when these two brutish men decide to expose her secret to everyone she has grown to love.  That scene makes me sick, makes me cry, makes me so fucking angry!  I couldn’t find the clip on YouTube, but if you’ve seen the film (and if you haven’t, you need to) then you know what I’m talking about.


So there you have it.  I want to thank Mettel Ray for putting this on.  It was a great time!  Can’t wait till the next one.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of your love picks, but I completely agree with your hate ones. Injustice in movies is so infuriating. It's painful to watch, as these scenes all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must see Pennies from Heaven. It is one of those gems that divided audiences and critics (it's not all roses and sunshine, which it was expected to be) but I loved it to pieces!

      Delete
  2. Oh God that scene from Irreversible, in fact the whole movie, is unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I can't watch it again, but Monica is my Fisti winner that year...she's incredible, and mostly because of that particular scene (those hands...GOD...she's so in that moment).

      Delete
  3. Hi Andrew! I haven't seen any from your HATE list but nice to see a Disney song on the LOVE list, boy that'll be too hard for me to narrow down as there are SO many Disney songs I love that I could do a top 10 LOVE list just on that alone, ahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth! Thanks for stopping by. It's funny you mention the Disney songs top ten, since I was just thinking of posting a dual top ten (so that would be top 20) after Oscar nominations are announced listing my top ten NOMINATED and my top ten SNUBBED Disney songs. LOL. I love them so much, but I want to wait and see how Frozen makes out in that category before weighing in.

      Delete
    2. And you NEED to see Boys Don't Cry...it's one of my favorite films of the 90's!

      Delete