Monday, November 11, 2013

Apparently George Clooney pissed in my cereal at some point...


First, I want to say that I'm not anti-George Clooney.  I don't hate him and I don't find him talentless, despite my rants from time to time.  Yes, I think he is overrated and his embrace from AMPAS since his HUGE 2005 year is just baffling to me.  I think he lacks range, but he's had some really shining moments (he's a Fisti nominee for his performance in 'O Brother Where Art Thou?') and I agree that the man is incredibly handsome.

That is kind of where it ends for me.  I don't find him charming because I find his charm to be rather conceited and arrogant and he just comes across very smug and full of himself, and this bleeds into his recent performances.  I don't get why the world LOVES him to much.  He's kind of an asshole.

With that in mind, have you read this interview he did with Esquire?

In the interview he calls out Russell Crowe for being an asshole (we aren't going to dispute that).  Apparently, about TEN YEARS AGO, Crowe was quoted as saying that Clooney (and De Niro and Ford) were sellouts.  I'm not going to dispute that either.  Crowe apparently apologized for it by sending Clooney a CD and some of his poetry (Crowe is such a tortured artist).  In turn, Clooney fires back by mocking Crowe and then bringing it all back up again ten years later.  It feels so...petty. 

Where's my phone...I think I need to throw it, AT GEORGE CLOONEY!

Yes, I'm bias.  I'm Crowe's #1 fan (in my head) and I defend him countless times despite the fact that he is an asshole, but at least he's not arrogant and smug.  George's face just exudes the confidence of a man who thinks his shit doesn't stink, and this particular comment is just ridiculous: 

“But then I had a year. Then I had Syriana and Good Night, and Good Luck, and he was gonna see me at the Golden Globes ’cause he was nominated for Cinderella Man. So he sends me a disc of his music and a thing of his poetry. I think he said, ‘I was all misquoted,’ and I was like, ‘Yeah, yeah. Whatever.’ I did take it with me to the BAFTAs, but I didn’t win. I might have used it if I had won. I was nominated for four!”
I just don't get this.  So, if you had won you would have taken that opportunity to openly humiliate a fellow actor?  This doesn't make you sound like the bigger man.  This makes you sound like just as big, if not an even BIGGER asshole.

I don't drink your Kool Aid Mr. Clooney.

9 comments:

  1. Well as a #1 Clooney fan I'm gonna say I find him incredibly charming and friendly. The man uses his fame to do a lot of good charity work and he has more nice things to say about more people than he has bad things to say - it's not like he is lying and if Crowe was mean to him what's the difference how much time ago it was? I also find Clooney's work to be brilliant on multiple occasions- eg. he is my win waaay over DDL for Michael Clayton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you with regards to him doing a lot of good charity work. In fact, he does more than most. I applaud him for that. I still find him smug.

      And I disagree on the comment about 'what's the difference how much time ago it was'...because it's been nearly ten years and to bring it up (his publicist tries to say that he was asked and so he answered, but it's obvious from the interviewer that Matt Damon brought it up out of the blue, as a way to insult Crowe) is tacky.

      But that's just my opinion.

      Delete
    2. Damon brought it up then. Also maybe Clooney and Crowe just don't talk or interact much and that's something he remembers well? If someone asked me about a person that was mean to me a decade ago, I'd also answer if I didn't have more interactions with that person that I'd consider in any way memorable.

      Delete
  2. I like George Clooney and I think he can take on Russell Crowe. Hell, I can take Russell Crowe. I may not be built or anything but I can kick some ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah...I'd love to see Crowe throw a phone at Clooney ;-)

      Delete
  3. One of the things I like best about Russell Crowe is that he knows he's an asshole, and really doesn't apologize much for it.

    I'm actually a newer Clooney fan. I never liked him in anything until Up in the Air. That would've been very shitty of him to humiliate Crowe like that if he did win. Although I did think his quote about Leo being around bad people is kind of spot on. I always got that vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not denying that Crowe is an asshole, but at least he doesn't try and pretend that he is not.

      This was just a low blow.

      Delete
  4. Ha, I caught a whiff of this on the AW forums. Love that you posted about it here.

    I'm a fan of both, but I much prefer Crowe as an actor. It seems like Clooney's sense of humor can be misinterpreted as smugness, but maybe I'm missing something. That said, I think he should've kept his mouth shut in this case. His comments were so unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if you would have seen my comments there ;-)

      Delete