Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Wright Moves: a visual review of the films of Joe Wright


Well, it's about damn time that I actually post another 'visual review', and I've been sitting on this one for a while.  It's been so busy over here on the blog (I'm not complaining) and I've just been waiting for the right time to post this.  You can click on the tag below (visual reviews) to see the rest of the ones I've posted.  These are a fun way to review a complete body of work (shorts and television movies excluded) without getting too wordy.  Yes, I still feel that the best way to understand a film is through the visuals presented, and some directors just 'get' that.  Joe Wright is one of them.  His films are beautiful.  Joe Wright also happens to be one of my FAVORITE voices in film right now, and aside from one GIGANTIC snag, his body of work is pure perfection.

Seriously.

So here are my thoughts on his films to date:


Pride & Prejudice (2005) *****/*****

Sun kissed with romance...

Always expressive...

Intimately literary...

Comes over you like a dream...

A beautiful dance!

Atonement (2007) *****/*****

Soft, elegant and quietly chilled...

Brilliantly haunted and full of wonderment...

Alluringly smooth...

A grand, epic journey...

Fits like GOOD sex...


The Soloist (2009) */*****

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

If I were Joe Wright, I would have walked away from this project!

Hanna (2011) *****/*****

Fast paced thrill ride...

Surprisingly organic in composition...

BAD. ASS.

Dangerous...

It sneaks up on you, presenting something deeper than expected...

Anna Karenina (2012) *****/*****

Delicately intimate...

Uniformly detailed eye-candy drips from every corner...

Purposefully melodramatic...

Reflective of Wright's progressive talent...

Remarkably stoic, despite (and possibly 'because of') artistic liberties taken...

10 comments:

  1. Major fan of Joe Wright too. It really is better that we all forget that The Soloist exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would honestly have a PERFECT track record if that film didn't exist :-D

      Delete
  2. I like Joe Wright as well but The Soloist sucked and I didn't like Anna Karenina either. That was very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Soloist is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, sadly.

      Delete
  3. I liked the style used in Anna Karenina (despite it being the primary criticism against it). Atonement was lovely, and I think I need to see Pride & Prejudice again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna Karenina was so poetic and lovely, full of lush movements. Yes, it was a primary criticism, but an unfair one!

      Delete
  4. Haha. The Soloist must be really bad. I need to rewatch Anna Karenina, but I agree his films are gorgeous. Surprised you rank Hanna so highly. I dig it, though, as well as Atonement and Pride and Prejudice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't ever watch it!

      LOL, I just find the rest of his work rather spotless. I loved Hanna, because it was so different from his other work and yet maintained his visual style. His films just feel so rich.

      Delete
  5. Aaaaw, I do like THE SOLOIST. His weakest, but it's solid for me in its odd way. He does film movies so beautifully, though, whether period or contemporary.

    (How weird that P&P didn't have Seamus as his DP, though. I love them all but the use of light in PRIDE AND PREJUDICE is outstanding.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just see no redemption for The Soloist, which is sad for me since, as you can tell, I think the rest of his filmography is utter perfection. I can't wait to set my sights on Pan!

      And yes, for me Pride and Prejudice is his most beautiful film, visually.

      Delete