Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The return of the Biblical Epic?

What is that I see on the horizon?

We haven't had a good biblical epic in a while.  2004 tried to give us one in 'The Passion of the Christ', but it isn't really all that well remembered (and honestly, I never saw it).  But with the hype surrounding Aronofsky's upcoming 'Noah' (and this bootleg trailer that's floating around right now) all the attention is shifting to this long thought dead genre and what may become of it.  I'm all for a revival, if it's done right.  Ridley Scott, who is no stranger to the epic, has his hands all over a retelling of the story of Moses with 'Exodus', and this new crop of pictures is circulating the web and causing a stir:










This looks like a real grand scale Hollywood epic, and I'm super excited for it.  Please, dear Jesus, let this be Ridley Scott's Oscar ticket.  The man deserves one!  This cast has me especially excited, with Bale, Edgerton, Weaver, Kingsley, Turturro and Paul taking the reigns of some very heavy characters (the rise of Edgerton continues).  

What are your thoughts?  Are you all for a Biblical revival?  Do you think this is the start of something big, or do you think the buck stops here?  Will it depend on Oscar acceptance?  If 'Exodus' becomes the one to beat next year, could we see this genre completely revived?

6 comments:

  1. Sign me up. Noah looks awesome from that trailer, and I agree on Exodus. Scott deserves an Oscar, and that's a great cast. I just hope we don't get a film of Alexander-like proportions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 2nd Josh in hoping we don't get another film like Alexander. Yeesh.

      Delete
    2. Dear God...that would be awful!

      Delete
  2. I liked The Passion of the Christ - even given how crazy Gibson is, the guy is a damn good director. I really miss Aronofsky's movies as well as good epic films - I hope Noah will be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should see Passion. I just avoided it at the time and when I went back to revisit the year, I forgot all about it. I agree that Aronofsky is a great director though, so I can't wait to see what he does with Noah.

      Delete