Monday, October 14, 2013

Could 'Philomena' be a surprise contender in...everything?


At the beginning of the year, I was confident of one thing with regards to this movie; Judi Dench was winning the Oscar.  It just screamed BAIT, and her name really feels like the kind of name that has 'Lead Actress Oscar Winner' attached to the front of it.  Then the trailer was dropped and protagonists stuck their noses up and said "TOO LIGHT" and I said "Dench cracking inappropriate jokes and OMG tears is bound to result in an Oscar".  Then early word from test screenings was less than positive, and this dreadful poster was released and I started to question not only her win, but her nomination.

Then Venice happened. 

Since then, this film has been garnering all the necessary praise and recognition to snag some very high profile nominations, and the recent Audience Award it won at the Hamptons Film Festival is yet another notch in the belt of success.

So now I wonder, could this really be a bigger contender than a mere Actress nomination/win?  Could Best Picture, Screenplay, Supporting Actor or even Director happen?  Could this, and not 'Fruitvale Station', be Weinstein's big Oscar vehicle this year?  I'm seriously beginning to think we've all underestimated this one.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure. A screener of Fruitvale Station has already been sent to Academy voters, so maybe it will make the cut after all. I still see this as a Best Actress play at best, but the Academy could eat it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Could Best Picture, Screenplay, Supporting Actor or even Director happen?" Yes, I've been predicting the first three for a few weeks now. (Thanks McT)

    http://cinesnatch.blogspot.com/2013/09/best-picture-oscar-2013-october.html

    http://cinesnatch.blogspot.com/2013/09/best-director-screenplay-etc-oscar-2013.html

    http://cinesnatch.blogspot.com/2013/09/best-acting-categories-oscar-2013.html

    "Could this, and not 'Fruitvale Station', be Weinstein's big Oscar vehicle this year?" There's room for both.

    "I'm seriously beginning to think we've all underestimated this one." You are, but so are most.

    Love your latest AW siggie by the way.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also may have missed this:

      http://awardswatch.com/forums/showthread.php?33900-Best-Picture-October&p=1715684&viewfull=1#post1715684

      Delete
    2. I wasn't really talking to the AW community with this one. Outside of AW, I don't think many are taking this seriously. I know McT and a few others have been flirting with this idea for a while, and I even predicted Picture and Screenplay and Actress last month, but this post was mostly for the rest of the blogosphere.

      And thanks, I love my siggie too ;-)

      Delete