Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A flood of controversy surrounding the final cut of 'Noah'...


I've been afraid of this day coming, but apparently there is a flood (pun intended) of controversy surrounding the final cut of Aronofsky's biblical epic 'Noah'.  The film is set to release next March, and I've been awaiting it's release with baited breath.  The combination of Aronofsky, Crowe and God has me ridiculously excited, and everything I've seen so far from this film has my interest peaked and my expectations high.  

I just read this article at The Ropes of Silicon, and I must say I'm worried.

I had a feeling that this would happen.  You always run the risk of controversy when you tackle a subject held sacred, and when you tamper with Scripture you have to face a firing squad of religious cohorts who judge every decision you make.  Sometimes, these alterations pay off and sometimes they come across as tacky or disrespectful.  You have to play to your audience in a way, but that really raises a sincere question; just how much SHOULD a director cater to his audience?

As a devoted film lover, I would say "not at all".  We like what we like, and if we don't like your film, we'll watch another one, but I have no respect for an auteur who would compromise their own vision for the sake of 'drawing a crowd'.  Still, this isn't some small indie, and with a huge studio backing you and shelling out millions to make this movie 'epic', they obviously want to recoup that money and so I understand where the concern comes in.  Controversy is a money maker in its own right though, and this could very well work in the film's favor.  If Aronofsky is allowed to keep his third act (please let is be so) then I for one am even more excited to see where he has taken it.

Either way, my ass is in that seat, but I would much rather see the film Aronofsky intended me to see than see some butchered version the studio felt more appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. I will be furious if they touch one frame of what might be another great film from Darren Aronofsky. I hate what Harvey Weinstein did to The Grandmaster. Studio executives should never be in the editing room at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hope they leave it untouched, but they've got my money either way.

    ReplyDelete