Thursday, September 26, 2013

Trailer Break: or, a year in the life of Naomi Watts...


There you have it, the latest trailer from a movie being released this year starring the luminous Naomi Watts.  I love this woman.  She is one of the more gifted actresses working today, and I anticipate nearly every project she releases.  This year has been weird though, since she's releasing three films and none of them look to be all that promising.  This looks to be the best film of the three, and it is the better reviewed film, but even this rings of desperation to me.

But, at least this isn't 'Diana':


I posted the teaser trailer a while back, but this trailer contains the real goods.  This movie is getting SCATHING reviews, and is poised to be one of the worst reviewed films of all time, and this trailer is proof that those reviews are legitimate.  This looks like an epic disservice to the late Princess.  I really have no words for this mess.

And then there is 'Adore', a film that looks horrible (and has been reviewed dismally) and yet is probably the most intriguing to me because it looks so hilariously trashy (unintentionally, obviously)...


I mean, seriously!

So, 2013 was not a good year for Watts, which is a shame.  Coming off of a surprisingly great year in 2012, and finally snatching up her second Oscar nomination, you'd think that this year would capitalize on that.  I know she was trying for that Oscar with Diana, but apparently she really should have read the script first, or fired the director!  Next year she plays a prostitute in St. Vincent De Van Nuys, and then stars in Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's next film, Birdman.  She's worked with Inarritu before, and nabbed her first Oscar nom alongside him, so I'm anxious to see how that pairing works for her.  I'm most interested in her work with Noah Baumbach, which is due out in 2015.  While We're Young sounds VERY interesting, and Baumbach has a very unique style that I'm interested to see Watts tackle.

She can only go up from here!

2 comments:

  1. I love Naomi Watts and I pretty much like her in most of the films I've seen yet I have heard about how bad Diana is. Mark Kermode's review revealed what is wrong with the film as he wasn't very scathing w/ this film as his other British critics. Still, he pointed out the fact that the film is very boring. That's not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her future projects look more interesting, for sure. I'd actually forgotten about Diana, but I do want to give all 3 of those films a look.

    ReplyDelete