Wednesday, September 4, 2013

It's a sad day in Hollywood...

At least he's not dead!
I mean, it's almost as bad, since he is now leaving my life, but there is one consolation to be found in today's news that the legend himself is retiring from acting.  I swear to god, if I read a headline that said he had died I probably would have went into a coma from all the sorrow.  I've long professed that Jack Nicholson is one of my favorite actors, and I stand by that despite his recent descent into regurgitated caricatures.  His filmography is insanely good and he has managed to stay relevant despite his age.  I had heard that he had been offered the role that Bruce Dern recently won the Cannes award for, but I wasn't aware as to the real reason for his turning it down.  His memory loss is sad.  It's truly heartbreaking when an actor, especially one this influential, loses his ability to act.  My heart goes out to him, and his presence will be truly missed.  I'm all the more saddened that his swan song from acting is 'How Do You Know', which was an abomination.  It reminds me of when Gene Hackman (another one of the greats) retired right after 'Welcome to Mooseport'.  I just wish that they could have left us with a better taste in our mouths.  Like, why couldn't this have happened right after 'The Departed'?

8 comments:

  1. I'm bummed that Nicholson is going to retire though I know why. I would want him and Gene Hackman to at least do one more film so they can end their careers on a high note. At least let the film be a good one and from a filmmaker who cares about making good movies. It doesn't have to be a big film. Just a small role from those 2 guys and they can held their head high knowing that they at least their last film was a good one.

    At least Nicholson has the Lakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, but hey...reports are surfacing that this was all bad reporting and he is NOT retiring. WHO TO BELIEVE?!?!?!

      Delete
    2. Thank goodness. I was going to be sad.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He needs to go out on a better note than How Do You Know. I can't believe he's only done 2 movies since 2006.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does take his time between projects, and I'm sure reuniting with Brooks seemed like a good idea, but it was just a really unfortunate film.

      Delete
  4. Man, you had me worried. I'm sad he's retiring, but I thought for a second he had died. It sucks that he went out with How Do You Know. Still, it happens to the best of them. Brando went out with The Score, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Brando didn't go out with 'The Island of Dr. Moreau'!

      Delete