Thursday, September 5, 2013

HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT: Spring Breakers


I was so determined to stay on with this series once I participated in the 'Hud' post, but then I let a few slip and before I knew it I was completely out of the loop.  SHAME!  This series is such an infectious one because it really forces the blogger to find those moments, those scenes, those shots that express for us the very essence of the film, for it is those moments that really pull us in and make us remember.  For me, this was the hardest time I had trying to settle on a favorite because 'Spring Breakers' is one of those films that is littered with fantastic shots.

I should throw some attention to Josh over at The Cinematic Spectacle for FYCing the cinematography for this film a few months back.  He is so right.  Not a single film I've seen this year has been lensed to perfection the way that this one has (and such range as well).


There were two scenes from the film that I think caught my eye the most.  First is the scene where the girls are arrested and placed in a jail cell.  Every fragment of this sequence tells of the eventual disconnect that is going to form and the splintering of these girls before the film's end.


The second was the pool scene between the girls (not the one with Franco).  The juxtaposition of the night air, the cool water and their neon bathing-suits was just the perfect eye-candy and really settled in my brain as one of the most visually appealing moments in cinema this year (and not just because they were hot chicks in bikinis).  


Pulling any of the shots from those scenes would have sufficed, and I would have been happy with that.  Still, while mulling this over in my mind I kept going to other shots in the film, more iconic shots if you will, that I think will outlive the movie itself.  I settled on three, but I know that I have to pick one.  So, in descending order:

#3

#2

#1
The reason I chose this pic as my #1 is that I really think it captures the entirety of this film, from the plot to the visual aesthetic to the subliminal 'message'.  It underscores the triviality that the media and today's youth in general heap upon the severity of these types of actions.  It's all fun and games until some bikini clad chicks mow down your neighborhood.  The film's depiction of senseless violence and complete disregard for consequence can be captured in the very spirited and reckless way this particular shot is framed.  From Franco's haphazard gestures, his braids in full flight and his tongue directed at his enemy, to our young vigilante's poor hold on her weapon, her pink ski mask covering a face full of excitement and adrenaline; this frame is absolute perfection.  

You can see my review of the film here.

So, there you have it!  I actually got this shit DONE!  Here's to hoping I remember to play along next time.

6 comments:

  1. AMAZING post here! I really could choose so many shots from this film that are so beautifully lit or angled or juxtaposed. There's a lot more substance to this film that disbelievers think. Nicely put together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should play along. Nate over at The Film Experience does these every week or so. I think this was the last one in this group, but they'll be back.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the link man! :)

    Nice shot choices. This is my Cinematography runner-up behind To the Wonder at the moment, but I LOVE the look of it. It's just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to see To the Wonder, but I do find that most of Malick's films look the same, so while they are beautiful to look at I tend to award other films.

      Delete
    2. Fair point. For me, his films are nothing without their gorgeous cinematography. There are definitely similarities in his visuals, but I think they always serve the films well. For instance, Lubezki's work on The Tree of Life and To the Wonder is very similar, yet it adds so much that I can't deny those films the recognition. :)

      Delete