Wednesday, September 11, 2013

An odd combination of awesome?


So, 'The Hunger Games' really started a 'thing' with Hollywood and these adaptations of YA books and series and whatnot.  It certainly draws in the crowds and snatches up legions of fans, but it is kind of becoming tired and not very intriguing anymore.  Yes, I'm reading those 'Hunger Games' books after being pressured by all of my teenage friends (yes, I have them) and I enjoy them to a degree, but one cannot ignore the juvenile aspect of the whole thing.  Word has come out now that two drastically different cinematic minds have paired up to take on, what other than another YA adaptation.  Yes, Robert Zemeckis is set to direct a Charlie Kaufman penned adaptation of the 'Chaos Walking' trilogy from YA author Patrick Ness.  Now, I do not hide my dislike for a lot of Zemeckis's work, including his ridiculous Oscar winner 'Forrest Gump', but he's recently racked up two Fisti nominations for directing 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' and 'Death Becomes Her', and I personally adore the first half of his career (pretty much everything that came before he won the Oscar).  Charlie Kaufman is one of the greatest screenwriters working today, so the pairing, while initially bizarre, seems like a really awesome fit.  The premise of this story is kind of dull sounding, but then again it could work with the right direction.  I'm interested, excited almost.  Let's see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. I think the idea of a YA helmed by Robert Zemeckis and scribed by Charlie Kaufman would be interesting. Let's hope it's a cut above the other YA adaptations that's been coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a YA adaptation I can get behind. I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete