Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Trailer Break x's 2, with a Poster thrown in for good measure...


There you have it, the official trailer for Ridley Scott's anticipated 'The Counselor'.  You know that I'm all about this being huge, and I've personally been predicting it heavily for Oscar all year.  Last month I cooled on it a bit, but this trailer has me excited once again.  This could be a tricky one, beings that it is a thriller and AMPAS doesn't usually respond to those unless they knock it out of the park, but this cast is so ridiculously good, and Scott is due for a comeback of sorts.  I have faith, and I'm crossing my fingers BIG TIME.  Diaz looks wonderful here.  I heard earlier that her big scene may have been cut from the film, and some pundits in her corner have lamented, fearing that the loss of that scene could be the death of her Oscar campaign, but this trailer shows something that could mean that scene is still in there (can you guess what I'm talking about?  I know you can Vincent) so maybe there is still hope!

How are you feeling about the film's Oscar chances?  Are you anticipating this as much as I am?

Next, we have something VERY special:


Yes my friends, 'Her' IS happening this year!  This was high on my list of 'most anticipated films' back in January, and then nothing came of it, no hype, no buzz, no word, casting switches and I kind of forgot about it altogether, but now this happened!  This trailer is EVERYTHING I could want in a trailer and has probably made me the happiest I've been all season long.  Phoenix in particular looks brilliant here, so relaxed and loose and charming in this odd way.  Scarlett was the perfect choice for a voice (I was falling in love with her, and this trailer is only 2 minutes long) and everything about this just oozes charm and appeal.  Visually, it was breathtaking (the red and use of natural light drew me in).  I'm wondering how this could play with Oscar.  It looks very original and they have shown affection for Jonze in the past (how about that amazing surprise Oscar nomination for Direction back in '99) so I wonder if we have a surprise contender on our hands.  Original Screenplay maybe?  Could Phoenix factor in?

What do you think?  Does this wow you as much as it has wowed me?  Do you hear Oscar bells ringing?

Oh, and here is the poster:


I love this!

6 comments:

  1. The Counselor looks awesome yet, it's Her that I want to see a whole lot more as I love Spike Jonze's films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I watch The Counselor trailer the more it looks rather standard a thriller, while the more I watch the Her trailer the more I'm entranced by just how unique and special it looks. I can't wait to see both, but Her may have just jumped to my #1 most anticipated of the year!

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm officially sold on Her. I had never heard about it before last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's had such a low profile all year, which was surprising to me and had me nearly forgetting all about it...but it looks like this could be the biggest surprise of the year!

      Delete
  3. I think both have a chance with Oscar, but I'd still bet on The Counselor to get the bigger nominations. However, I'm anticipating Her more than The Counselor now. Based on the trailer, I might be nominating Scarlett Johansson for Best Supporting(?) Actress for her stellar voiceover performance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards Her at the moment, but maybe that is just some bias towards this exceptional trailer.

      And OMG ScarJo's voice work is KILLER...like, you can totally feel that emotional connection. It looks like swapping out Morton for ScarJo paid off.

      Delete