Thursday, August 8, 2013

Trailer Break: The Monuments Men


Alright, I've been heavily predicting this as an Oscar frontrunner since year's start.  This trailer changes all that.  I was anticipating this with much excitement, but this looks so...dull.  It looks pretty, glossy and well made, but as vanilla as they come.  The commercial comedic tone is surprising.  This looks like one of those forgettable summer flicks that makes big money at the box office but gets forgotten soon after.  The cast looks uniformly plain, and the delivery of the concept makes me want to take a nap.  Even the jokes were tired and didn't hit.  I can see this snagging a Best Picture nomination in an expanded field with decent reviews because of the pedigree of the cast, but outside of a few techs (like Art Direction, Costumes and Score) I see this being the big year end movie that flops.

Oh what should have been.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm... I'm not sure I saw the same trailer. It could be misleading, with a couple of brief light moments thrown in to sell the film. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just didn't think any of those light moments worked, like at all (that closing joke was terrible). The production values looks amazing, and this could be a botched trailer for a great movie, but I'm losing confidence.

      Delete