Thursday, August 22, 2013

Fisti Updates: 1988 Picture, Director and Film Editing...

1988?  1989?  1990?
So, I'm working on getting my 1988 Fisti Awards posted.  It's a slow process (if you've been around while I've posted other awards you'll know that it is usually done in piece-mail) and so for tonight we have Best Picture, Director and Film Editing up for your viewing pleasure.  I absolutely LOVE this film year.  It held so many cinematic delights that narrowing it down was VERY hard.  The big conundrum was the placement of 'Cinema Paradiso'.  Honestly, this is one of my favorite films of all time (queue the spoiler here, but YES, it is my Best Picture winner) but deciding the year to put it in was hard.  1990 was out, since I had already wrapped that year up, so even though it had it's US release in February of 1990 it wasn't going to factor into that year (I give myself that liberty with foreign releases).  So then it would naturally fall into the homeland release year, but that is where I had another issue.  This film was initially released in Italy in 1988, but apparently (I'm just speculating here) it was too late in the year for Oscar submission and so the film wound up being re-released in 1989 and competing (and winning) the Foreign Language Film Oscar that year.  So, I was left with the debate of placing this in the year it was released initially, or placing it in the year it won the Oscar.

I flipped a coin and went with 1988.

I'd love to hear what you think of my ballots in these three categories.  Feel free to comment here or on the 80's Fisti page.

6 comments:

  1. That's my birth year and it was indeed awesome for film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't make sense that the two fully animated films in your top 5 for Picture aren't included in even the top 12 for Director. Animated films don't direct themselves you know.

    Other than that, excellent list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do completely agree with you. I struggle with animated films and direction because my understanding of direction is so limited that I fail to comprehend it fully. I think I noted that on my director ballot. I know that it was a HUGE mistake and yet I couldn't see where to place them. In all honesty, they both probably should have been nominated, and would have, if I understood how someone directed an animated film.

      Delete
  3. Love it! I wish I'd seen Distant Voices, Still Lives, My Neighbor Totoro, and Salaam Bombay before I did my ballot, but I'll update it when I see them.

    If it helps, I think the only director I'd nominate for an animated film would be Miyazaki for Spirited Away, which he also wins for. That is a tricky distinction.

    Dig that Kieslowski screenplay nod. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh! It's hard to see all the great films of any year because those titles change depending on who you are talking to.

      The animated director thing stumps me. Like...SO MUCH. I come close to nominating directors for claymation, mostly when I can see their visual style in the approach to the film, but straight up animation baffles me because I look at it as more of a writing triumph than anything else.

      Delete