Thursday, August 15, 2013

August Oscar Predictions: Hair, Makeup and some Visual Effects


So, let’s wrap this thing up.  I’ve got my eyes set on a few films I think have a serious shot at snagging some Oscar love in these final categories.  First up is ‘Makeup & Hairstyling’, which is always so hard to peg down.  I mean, the ‘Lincoln’ snub is very telling that no matter how ‘perfect’ you are at something, you can’t hedge your bets for a nomination from this branch.  So, I’m wondering what that will mean for ‘The Butler’, which is looking like it could play up the age makeup and complete ‘transformation’ aspect to get in here, but I still have such a hard time taking that movie seriously. 

I’m really on the fence about both ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’ and ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’.  Both films have the narrative and the past nominations (wins) to constitute them real contenders, and yet I’m blinded by flashy wigs and prosthetics at the moment.

So, I’m thinking:


Makeup & Hairstyling
1.       The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The aging here looks flawless, and if the film is a big splash, this could be the consolation prize.

2.       American Hustle
Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams are enough to have me calling this a lock right now, but you never know how this branch is going to vote.

3.       Rush
Deglam to the extreme, and Oscar likes that…except when they don’t.  You know how it is.

And so now we have our final predicted category (because I avoid Docs and Shorts like the plague), Visual Effects.  The bombardment of action centered films with glaring visuals is making this very difficult to cut through.  There are just so many possibilities that narrowing down on that ONE film with the best shot is hard.  The fading adoration (or the lack of critical love) for both ‘Man of Steel’ and ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ have me voting against them right now, but they could factor in and will most likely be nominated for something along the way.  There are only two films that I’m confident in at the moment, but I need to fill a ballot with five so here we go.

Visual Effects
1.       Gravity
The predestined winner, this showy event is all about the visual, so there is no denying it is locked and loaded for the Oscar.

2.       The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
If the film nabs Best Picture mentions then this should be a given.  Early word compared this to ‘Life of Pi’, which is a very good thing.

3.       The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
It’s probably an obvious and easy get for a film that is all about the progression of Visual Effects.  I doubt it has any shot at a win, but it should land on this ballot with no snags.

4.       Pacific Rim
Having seen the film, it really deserves this.  Those graphics are insanely good, and word is that they are impressing Oscar voters.  The film is dumb though, and that could be a detractor.

5.       Elysium

The critical reception is not good, but the word on the effects is high, and ‘District 9’ did land here too.  This could easily get the shaft for something like ‘Man of Steel’, but it’s newer which means that Oscar voters are still thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. Makeup might be the hardest category. I'm convinced that I could go 0/3 right now. Your Visual Effects lineup looks spot-on. Are there a lot of visual effects in All is Lost? Because that could pop up if that's the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I hear, the effects in 'All is Lost' are the weakest link in the film and the only aspect of the film that has been criticized, so I'm thinking it'll miss here.

      Delete