Friday, July 19, 2013

Trailer Break: Mandela (Long Walk to Freedom)


Alright, so I've been seriously underestimating this film based on the fact that the film's title sounds like a made for television film.  I just couldn't take it seriously.  After the teaser that was released a few weeks back I started to come around to the idea of this actually being a smart and well produced film.  The teaser, while showing us nothing of the film's quality really, was beautifully composed and showed intelligence and craftsmanship in promotion.  This trailer, complete with horrible musical choices, leaves me somewhat conflicted.  Certain aspects looks wonderful, but the flow of the trailer suggests something more mainstream and generic than I expected.  Still, Elba looks FANTASTIC, and this is the type of performance that, in a year where your only clear front-runner is a veteran actor in a silent role, could take the whole thing.  I think we have a dark horse contender here!

4 comments:

  1. You get that Oscar Idris :) Naomie looks lovely too! I liked the second track, used in Anna Karenina trailer last year, but the r&b music was...odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the music just didn't fit and gave this is less polished feel. Still, Elba looks good for a nom. That accent work was spot on!

      Delete
  2. I must be one of the only people to be underwhelmed with what little of Elba's performance we've seen. At the moment, I don't see him getting in. I'm thinking DiCaprio, Ejiofor, Jordan, McConaughey and Redford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ejiofor could make it if 12 Years becomes McQueen's 'The Wrestler', which I'm thinking it could be.

      Delete