Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trailer Break: 12 Years a Slave


So, I'm super excited for this.  I've been awaiting a trailer for this film and I have to say that this is far from what I expected and it has me both excited and worried.  First off, this looks far more mainstream than I thought it was going to be.  This looks like your typical Oscary tear-jerker complete with topical subject and period piece aesthetics.  It doesn't look like a Steve McQueen film at all, and I really like Steve McQueen films.  Fuck Oscar, I was really excited to see a visionary director take on such a strong subject.  We've seen so many films about slavery done in the very same way.  It is about time that someone does it differently.  I was looking forward to seeing the detachment of emotion and the abrasive technicals, but part of me fears this is going to be too familiar, too schmaltzy.  Now, maybe this is all in the trailer and just a way to get our ass in a seat, but everything from the music to the dialog felt so conventional.  Still, the cast is ridiculously good, and Fassbender may very well be on his way to an Oscar nomination, so I can't wait to pass my own judgement.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm super excited too! I've never seen anything by Steve McQueen before so this will be the first. Glad to see Chiwetel Ejiofor in the lead role. – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must see Shame. For me, it was a step above Hunger, which was already a very insightful and unique experience. McQueen has such control of his vision, I just hope that this trailer is misleading in that respect, because it almost seems like too much of a departure.

      Delete
  2. I saw this yesterday. Man, it looks intense. I love Steve McQueen's work as I own the Criterion DVD to Hunger and saw Shame in the theaters. I really hope it's another winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited, that is for sure. McQueen has a lot of potential he's been tapping into.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait, but I'm also a little worried. Hopefully, it won't be a typical approach to this story. Also, is it me, or does Fassbender look like a potential frontrunner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, if this actually gets the attention of AMPAS members then Fassy is in it to win it! I'm still not sure that this will be an Oscar hit, but Fassbender looks superb as always, and the role is a baity one.

      Delete