Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Odd casting choice I can totally get behind...


Apparently Sandra Bullock is hot right now.  Straight off her high profile 2009 Oscar winning year, she's been in demand and on fire.  Sure, she has a mess right now in that 'Heat' movie, which is taking a beating with early reviews and controversy over that hideous poster, but her career is hitting a re-surged stride that is undeniable.  She's getting a lot of early Oscar buzz for her latest role in 'Gravity', the sci-fi thriller out later this year, and news is a buzz at the moment about her possibly joining the remake of 'Annie' as non other than Mrs. Hannigan!  Quvenzhane Wallis and Jamie Foxx are already on board, and speculation was circling around names like Queen Latifah for the infamous Hannigan role, but it looks like Bullock is in talks to take it.  Personally, I'm VERY partial to Burnett's performance in the 1982 film version (Fisti nominee for sure) and while I love me some Latifah, the idea of her cast in the role seemed a tad lazy.  This news is totally out of left field (who would have thunk it) and yet it makes total sense.  Bullock is a seasoned comedian who is exceptional with physical comedy, and playing a self absorbed drunk with a heart (however masked by her desperation) is the perfect role for her to take on.  I hope this movie is good (since I'll be stuck seeing it over and over thanks to my daughter's obsession with the story) but now I kind of hope it's great. 

4 comments:

  1. I love Burnett's performance too, but I approve of this casting decision. I just hope the rest of the film is great.

    By the way, I nominated you for a blog award. http://classicblanca.blogspot.com/2013/06/super-sweet-blogging-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome bro! I can't thank you enough for being a champion of A Fistful of Films. I really do appreciate all the support you've given my blog over the past year.

      And yes, I'm all for this casting decision!

      Delete
    2. No problem man! You run a wonderful blog, and I love that you've been so prolific in posting since last year. It's great to see those followers growing too. Remember when your goal was 20? Onward and upward! :)

      Delete
    3. LOL, I do! I'm pushing for 50 now!

      Delete