Thursday, June 13, 2013

Empty seats, empty lives...


Ok, so I just read this article at The Hollywood Reporter where both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas talk about the death of cinema and the 'implosion' they see coming in the near future where fewer movies will get theatrical releases, they will play like Broadway shows (in the theaters for a year or so) and will cost an arm and a leg to see.  I hope to sweet Jesus this doesn't happen.  I have a hard enough time getting to the movies as it is, and justifying spending the doe on the whole family is another thing all together.  I practically live and breath on Netflix rentals and my local Redbox, and if it takes a year or so for a movie to get a DVD release I will be way behind the times.  As it is I usually don't get to follow Oscar season as closely as I want to since I don't  get to see the bulk of the nominated films until the following year.  What if I was a whole year behind?  What if I couldn't see films like 'Argo' and 'Silver Linings Playbook' until 2014?!?!  I don't know if this is bitter old men chatting about how their latest pet projects almost went the way of HBO, or if this is legit insider gossip, but the prospect chills my bones.

6 comments:

  1. That's a scary thought. If the big studios wouldn't release so much crap, I don't think this would be a problem. Did we really need a second GI Joe or another Clash of the Titans? The studios are responsible for releasing big-budget films that flop (Jack the Giant Slayer, for instance). It sounds like it'd be in their best interest to focus on quality more than they have been. If they want the butts in the seats, they can be more selective about their blockbusters for starters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I find it semi-hilarious that Spielberg and Lucas are the ones to raise this issue since they are partially responsible for the crap being released.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't worry too much. Having a movie in theaters for a whole year will not work. On the contrary, we are moving towards a shorter theatrical run due to the rise of VOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would tend to agree with you. Only time will tell.

      Delete
  3. I have mixed feelings about this issue. Spielberg and Lucas are saying pretty obvious things about the rise of VOD and films struggling to get made. However, they're also hardly free of blame in this trend. Did Spielberg really need a $65 million budget to make Lincoln? Lucas is hardly free from blame in this blockbuster era too.

    I do agree that how people watch movies is changing, but it isn't all bad news. I feel like audiences are making wiser choices and being more discerning when picking movies. The Hangover 3 looked bad, and it didn't do well. After Earth was clearly not worth the time. Smaller budget films that actually look original can do very well. I don't see Spielberg and Lucas participating in that arena. It's going to continue to evolve, but I don't believe all the trends are bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm with you on that. I do wish that some of the smaller films could do better in the theater, but I think that a lot of the blame is that these films don't get the wide releases they deserve. It's hard to drive to the ends of the earth to see these movies at double the price of a local theater when you can wait a few months and see them on Netflix.

      Delete