Friday, May 24, 2013

Weinstein's a pimp (May Best Actress Predictions)

Golden Globes don't count, Jessica!

By placing Roberts in Supporting, I really needed to hurry and redo these predictions since I initially placed her here last month.  This category looks like it has about eight real contenders right now, but for the sake of these predictions I’m going with fifteen potentials.  Mainly, I’m struggling to try and find some new blood, since this year looks to have a slew of previous winners and nominees in the forefront with roles that are tailor made for Oscar attention.  With Weinstein backing most of them (Streep, Dench, Kidman, Cotillard) this could be a bloodbath of Oscar winning women fighting it out for Oscar number two (or in Streep’s case, #4). 

I’m still very confident in Dench being the year end champ, and with the recent news that Weinstein is backing her, I don’t think anyone should find that shocking.  Still, there has to be a race, and four other nominees, so here we go.

















































So, in recap:

May Nominees:
Bullock/Gravity
Delpy/Before Midnight
Dench/Philomena
Streep/August: Osage County
Winslet/Labor Day

April Nominees:
Bullock/Gravity
Dench/Philomena
Roberts/August: Osage County
Streep/August: Osage County
Winslet/Labor Day

6 comments:

  1. Awesome picks, I kinda think Kidman is definitely in and Watts has a big chance too, for me they are safer bets than Bullock and Delpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sati! Watts' distributor scares me, but Kidman is probably in. I had her in my top five and last minute (as in this morning) I swapped her out for Delpy. I just feel like a newbie will be nominated, and she has the best shot ATM. Bullock is a hunch. I feel like Gravity will be huge, and if it gets Picture and Director, can they really snub Bullock when she is the sole performance in the film?

      Delete
  2. I like how you only have three previous winners, because I think that's the reality of the situation. BUT ... damn me if that Labor Day script it lacking. Which makes me think, yes, Winslet, in another year, but not this year. Probably going to be your #6 or #7 guess. But, your choices overall show that you're looking at this race much more shrewdly than anyone else that I know about at this point?

    (I'm still stuck with four former winners and four Harvey girls. NOT going to happen, but I don't know where I want to throw my allegiance to.)

    What do you think are the chances of Miss Julie coming out in 2013? Any thoughts on Rebecca Hall for A Promise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Hall on your list and considered including her. She's a talented girl, but because I've heard nothing on the project I didn't include her. Miss Julie could come out this year, but I'm not so sure Chastain will get nominated three years in a row :-P

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. I forgot about Therese. While most of the lower films/performances seem too small to make the cut, you never know for sure at this juncture. I almost predicted Bejo, but it looks like a crowded field near the top. Please let Delpy happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she might. Her reviews are outstanding and she'd be a newbie in this field, so her chances are better than expected at this point. I wish that Greta Gerwig had a real chance.

      Delete