1) Rock Hudson is like a talentless Cary Grant. He was extremely good looking and possessed buckets of charisma and charm and yet he couldn’t sell a single second of his performance. He tries really hard, but he always comes across as just that; someone trying way too hard. His chiseled features play too hard on the screen, never softening to express emotion and instead he feels almost as tightly wounds as Charlton Heston.
2) Jennifer Jones’ mouth is scary. It doesn’t hurt that her performance is ridiculously melodramatic and almost disturbingly theatrical. The way she alters her mouth to express sadness, madness, fear and passion is horribly unsettling. I literally cringed 90% of the time she was on the screen.
3) The rain is a scary thing. Sometimes you can see yourself dead in it.
|Let's get nasty...|
4) Italian’s are horny (I’m Italian, so I should have known this already…and I kind of did). Vittorio De Sica was easily the film’s saving grace and literally lit up the screen every time he was on it. He blew the rest of the cast out of the water with his depth of character and ability to make the near absurdity of this prose feel full of weight it honestly didn’t possess. He broke up the uncomfortable nature of the dreadful love story by slicing through the over-seriousness of it all and giving the audience a reason to cheer.
5) This film may be stupid (really, so bad in concept, construction and casting) but it is beautiful to look at. Each frame is a near piece of art, and the lighting is magnificent. I’m really shocked that this film wasn’t noticed by Oscar for its cinematography and score, but then again the fewer Oscar nominations the better for a film this bad.