Thursday, April 25, 2013

Visual Reviews: or my take on the works of David Fincher



I’ve had a lot of fun looking at both P.T. Anderson and Aronofsky’s filmographies through still images, and with some persuasion (it didn’t take much) I decided to take a swing at another director; one of my personal favorites.  Yes, the problem with this particular series is that I require myself to have seen everything in a director’s filmography in order to do a complete review of their work.  Truth be told, there are a lot of directors that I love and yet am missing one or two of their films in order to do a complete list (do I really need to watch ‘The Soloist’ so that I can review Joe Wright’s career?).  The other issue is that some directors (like Coppola and Malick) who I have otherwise seen all their work have films being released this year and so I feel like I should wait until I see those before doing this.  David Fincher is a director who I actually have seen everything from, and he doesn’t have anything scheduled for this year so he’s fair game.

YAY!!!

So, I’m not saying that Fincher’s career is perfect.  In fact, he’s had a few flops and some otherwise pedestrian films, but his visual prowess is always enticing, and even when his material is rather bland or even stupid, he manages to bring something special to the proceedings.

So, here are my visual reviews of Fincher’s filmography.  I hope you enjoy.


Alien 3 (1992) ***/*****
 
A little messy in construction...

Perceived as a tad silly...

A tad redundant in themes...

Visually captivating...

Not as shameful as one would assume...


Se7en (1995) *****/*****

 
Surprisingly human...

Explicitly detailed...

Heartstopping...
Unholy...

The beginning of my obsession with this man...

The Game (1997) * ½ / *****

 
A little too sure of itself...

Silly...

Drowns in its own ambitions...

Felt a little confused...

Yeah, I also wanted to punch Sean Penn in the face...

Fight Club (1999) *****/*****

 
Convincing...

Explosive...

Uncomfortably 'close to home'...

Batshit crazy...

Two faced (subliminally so)...

Panic Room (2002) ***/*****

Visually arresting...

No one talks about this movie anymore...

Should have ended Stewart's career...

Grasping for something special, but can't quite reach it...

Stuck inside it's own box...

Zodiac (2006) *****/*****

Looming...

Layered...

Haunting...

Elaborate...

Claustrophobic...

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) *** ½ / *****

 
Attempts romance...

Keeps us at a distance...

Contemplative...

Cold...

Lost the point of the story...

The Social Network (2010) *****/*****

Reflective...

Passionate...

Complex...

Arrogant...

A shitload of fun...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) *****/*****

Shockingly felt...

Naked...

Emotionally repressed...

Clever...

Unavoidably forthright...


4 comments:

  1. YES! So glad you did another one of these. Your descriptions are brilliant! Most of my ratings are close to yours, except I haven't seen The Game and I was underwhelmed by Dragon Tattoo on a second viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't bother to see The Game...it's pretty awful. I only really watched it to say that I had seen everything Fincher made.

      Delete
  2. It would be great if you could add Gone Girl to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will! I will do a singular post for it soon. I meant to back when I saw it first and time got away from me.

      Delete