Monday, April 22, 2013

Could we be looking at our Original Song Oscar winner?



Probably not, but this is pretty amazing.  I've been a fan of Lana Del Rey for a while now, and was really excited when I heard she was going to be appearing on 'The Great Gatsby' soundtrack.  This is beyond my expectations.  I have no clue if this is eligible (watch it be revealed that this was originally written for 'Australia' or something) but the lyrics are perfectly suited for the source materially, and it has this aching theatricality that just screams BAZ LURHMANN!  I'm so stoked for this film.  I love Lurhmann and I love the book (not to mention most of the cast) and this beautifully dramatic piece only gets me more and more excited.  Last year at this time no one in their right mind would have linked Oscar to 'Skyfall', so maybe 'Young and Beautiful' has a serious shot at the Oscar.  

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if this plays over the credits, which would put it at a disadvantage. Of course, it's not even officially eligible yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, just an early thought. It is beautiful though, so if it gets a plum spot in the film (like that love scene or even the finale and bleed into the credits) then it could make a serious play for the gold.

      Delete
  2. I've been hearing people talk about this song but this is the first time I've heard it in its entirety. It's absolutely beautiful, I LOVE it!! I love Skyfall's theme song and this is the kind of genre of music I listen to, so yeah, I hope it will get Oscar recognition. I need to start listening to Lana Del Rey :D Thanks Andrew!

    – ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, check out Lana. Her debut album was great! This is a fantastic song. I could see it winning the Globe even if Oscar doesn't bite. It just seems like a Globe winner ;-)

      Delete