Tuesday, March 19, 2013

In crazy movie news…

What is wrong with you?!?!?!

So, this is a shocker, but it appears that Lynne Ramsey (director of Swinton’s 2011 Oscar bait ‘We Need to Talk About Kevin’) has pulled out of her latest cinematic venture ‘Jane Got aGun’.  That isn’t so shocking in itself, but the fact that she did so on the first day of production is.  Yup, the cast and crew show up for their first day of shooting and…there is no director in sight!  I’m kind of baffled by this turn of events.  I could understand pulling out pre-production, if things weren’t going how you artistically ‘saw them headed’ or even mid-filming, if shit just got too real for you to handle, but this is an odd decision and one that leaves the studio and the cast and crew in a bit of a tailspin. 


Deadline is reporting that directors are being flown in and production is looking to pick up soon, with crew doing rehearsals to kill time and crew members twiddling their thumbs in disappointment (I’m sure).  Kris Tapley, who is friends with the film’s screenwriter Brian Duffield, is tweeting that he ‘wouldn’t be team Ramsey on this one’ and I can understand why. 

Her actions seem extremely selfish.  I'm just wondering; did she not think of what this would do for her career?

Now, this isn’t news that has me eminently worried or anything.  I wasn’t really looking forward to this film.  The title is dumb and Portman’s latest efforts haven’t truly wowed me, not to mention the fact that the only Ramsey film I’ve seen is ‘We Need to Talk About Kevin’ and I found that to be…dense.  That being said, I do love me some Jude Law, and Portman’s BEST work was alongside him (both ‘Cold Mountain’ and ‘Closer’) not to mention that fact that Joel Edgerton is a rising star and I am so exciting to watch him rise.  BAH, I don’t know how to feel about this (other than irritated at the fact that Ramsey would do this to everyone else involved).  Replacing a director last minute like this is going to be hard.  It isn’t like replacing an actor.  Directors insert a unique vision that no one else in the cast or crew can impart.  This film will never be what it was initially going to be now that Ramsey is off the set, and finding someone of clear talent, focus and vision is going to be hard at the last minute like this.

This is so bizarre.


No comments:

Post a Comment