Tuesday, January 8, 2013

DGA predictions...

What will be his fate?
So, the DGA announces today and the big question mark is whether or not Tom Hooper is going to be among the nominees.  Remember that DGA was the big turning point for him back in 2010.  Up until that point David Fincher had rightfully won everything.  It was with DGA that Hooper swooped in and took the gold and set himself up for that Oscar win.  It's funny because I'm at a bit of a standstill with this particualr situation.  I don't think Hooper deserves a nomination, because the only thing holding 'Les Miserables' back from perfection was his directorial choices, and yet I still absolutely LOVED the movie and so I kind of hope he gets in, just because it would show support for the film.  I'm betting on him getting in at this point.  Remember that the DGA is made up of a lot of people who worked in television, and that is where Hooper got his start.  They do like to honor their own.  They could go with O. Russell or with Tarantino, sure, but I'm thinking that Hooper, once again, will pick up the steam he needs today with a DGA nomination.

Here is who I'm predicting:

Affleck/Argo
Bigelow/Zero Dark Thirty
Hooper/Les Miserables
Lee/Life of Pi
Spielberg/Lincoln

Affleck, Bigelow and Spielberg are locked up for Oscar nominations, so they won't miss here, and Lee has been nominated for the DGA three times (Sense and Sensibility, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon & Brokeback Mountain) and won twice.  They love him.  He won't miss.  So it's that fifth spot that is posing a tricky conundrum.  Like I said, it could easily go to Tarantino (who is gaining momentum) or O. Russell who directed a movie everyone seems to love, but my money is on Hooper.  I hope it pays off.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on these. I probably would've gone with Tarantino over Lee.

    ReplyDelete