Monday, January 7, 2013

BAFTA Rising Star Nominees...


BAFTA has released their nominees for Rising Star and they are:

Elizabeth Olsen
Andrea Riseborough
Suraj Sharma
Juno Temple
Alicia Vikander

These are voted on by the public, so the winners can be as random as hell or as popular and obvious as you expect them to be.  They are mostly undeserved too (like, Kristen Stewart winning over Carey Mulligan in 2009) but whatever.  These nominees are pretty good.  I have not seen any of Vikander’s films, but I hear she’s incredible in both her releases this year, but I’ve seen some of the rest.  Riseborough was exceptional in ‘W.E.’ and we all know how incredible Elizabeth Olsen was in ‘Martha Marcy May Marlene’.  Temple has been in a few films over the past couple of years, and she’s decent (although always upstaged).  I’m baffled by the Sharma nomination.  I actually found him one note and somewhat dull in ‘Life of Pi’.  Samantha Barks should have been nominated, but she’s a stage actress and so I didn’t expect her to land here.

In other awards news, I’ve updated the Awards Tally chart.

4 comments:

  1. These are a solid lineup. Even though the public votes on this category, all of them are deserving winners. At least we won't get a repeat of someone like Adam Deacon winning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen Juno Temple from the list, I had no idea she was British! I'm going to see Life of Pi this weekend, so we'll see how I feel about Sharma, always nice to see some diversity in the noms though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharma isn't that wonderful in the film, but he isn't given a whole lot to do (in my opinion). Olsen's towering performance in Martha Marcy May Marlene puts everyone on this list to shame, honestly, but she will probably lose to Temple who was in The Dark Knight Rises and thus has a larger mass of people who know who she is.

      Delete