Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012 Movie Grades



I’ve been meaning to put this together for a while, a sort of running grade sheet of the films I’ve seen from 2012.  This will run all the way until probably the August or so, which will be around the time that I finalize by 2012 Fisti Awards.  It takes me a while to see films because of my work schedule and the fact that I have two kids at home (and one on the way).  I just don’t have time.  Thank god for Netflix Instant and the barrage of foreign films that get dropped in that bucket!  So, this will get updated all year long and will then get substituted for the 2013 grade sheet once I wrap up 2012.  If last year is any indication, I won’t even be seeing a film from 2013 until June (my first film seen from 2012 was Michael, which I saw on June 20th).  Anyways, you can click on the image on the right under the Award’s Tally icon to access this page and its updates at any time.  Everything is done in alpha order, so as to hold suspense while you await the 2012 Fisti Awards!


A+ (Masterpiece)

Beasts of the Southern Wild
Declaration of War
Moonrise Kingdom
Rust + Bone


A (Nearly Perfect)

21 Jump Street
Celeste and Jesse Forever
Damsels in Distress
The Deep Blue Sea
The Loneliest Planet
Looper
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
Oslo, August 31st
Les Miserables
Skyfall
Take This Waltz
Wreck-It Ralph
Your Sister's Sister


A- (Highly Recommended)

The Dark Knight Rises
Detachment
Elena
End of Watch
Hello I Must Be Going
The Impossible 
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Polisse
A Royal Affair
Sleepwalk With Me
The Snowtown Murders
We Have a Pope
Zero Dark Thirty


B+ (Very Good)

Alps
Amour
Attenberg
The Boy with the Bike
Django Unchained
Farewell, My Queen
I Wish
Killing Them Softly
The Master
Michael
Pitch Perfect
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

B (Definitely go see)

Argo
The Avengers
Chronicle
Compliance 
Cosmopolis
The Giant Mechanical Man
Goodbye First Love
The Grey
Here Comes the Boom
Katy Perry: Part of Me
Killer Joe
Prometheus
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Seven Psychopaths 


B- (Recommended with reservations)

Brave
Hope Springs
The Hunger Games
Klown
Lincoln
The Lorax
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
Man on a Ledge
The Sessions
Silver Linings Playbook
Sound of My Voice
Wuthering Heights


C+ (I liked it)

The Amazing Spiderman
Headhunters
Life of Pi
Smashed
Think Like a Man


C (It wasn’t all bad)

Bernie
Haywire
Post Mortem
Project X
Safety Not Guaranteed
Sparkle


C- (It had potential)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Keyhole
Magic Mike
Men in Black 3
The Paperboy
The Turin Horse
The Vow
The Words


D (The sooner forgotten the better)

The Cabin in the Woods
Chimpanzee
Flight
Hitchcock
The Man with the Iron Fists
Mirror Mirror


F (Utter garbage)

Big Miracle
The Innkeepers
The Hunter
This Means War
What to Expect When You’re Expecting

4 comments:

  1. Great list! I added The Boy With the Bike to my Netflix instant queue today. It looks like I need to add Declaration of War to my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Declaration of War was the second film I saw from this year and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! It is very, VERY French and reminds me of why I love French cinema. It has this beautiful way of underscoring the tragedy with a bright and sunny composition. It made me laugh, cry, smile and jump for joy!

      Delete
  2. Nice post. I'll do a post of my ratings in a few weeks after I've seen the last big 2012 films.

    Kinda surprised The Turin Horse is so low, but I'm glad it's in your current Cinematography lineup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch it again, but god did it take forever. I just felt like Tarr got in his own way with trying too hard to make a point. I know that Tarr is known for that kind of thing, but I've seen and loved Damnation, so it's not like I'm usually turned off by his style. I just found the redundancy to be off putting.

      Delete