Monday, December 10, 2012

AFI Top Ten

So, the American Film Institute announced their top ten films of the year.  Here they are:
 
AFI MOVIES OF THE YEARARGO
BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
DJANGO UNCHAINED
LES MISÉRABLES
LIFE OF PI
LINCOLN
MOONRISE KINGDOM
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
ZERO DARK THIRTY
 
Of interest, The Master isn't on here.  I see it's chances slowly slipping through the cracks, but that's something I had predicted for a while.  Love to see Les Miserables here, despite the barage of poor reviews and speculation that it would fail in the end.  It is still being mentioned everywhere.  Looks like the bitter critics will have to swallow this pill.  Other than that, this is really expected, with only The Dark Knight Rises being some sort of a surprise.  I don't think it is going to gain any real traction in the actual Oscar race, but I'm happy it's here (even if it isn't in my current top ten of the year).  I'm more interested in what the Django mention means.  The film is really the only one we have without a clear understanding of its Oscar chances, but it keeps popping up (here and NBR) so maybe it is more Oscary than the few tweets have suggested.  I'm all for a good Tarantino flick, so bring it on.

1 comment:

  1. Was Skyfall eligible? If so, that's a surprising omission.

    ReplyDelete