Thursday, December 13, 2012

Golden Globe Nominees!



Well, they’re in.  Let’s take a look at what this means for Oscar.


BEST PICTURE: DRAMA

 Argo

 Django Unchained

 Life of Pi

 Lincoln

 Zero Dark Thirty


I correctly predicted four of these, mistakenly thinking that The Impossible would get a boost from the HFPA.  Instead, Life of Pi continues its march towards getting nominated for everything.  I’m so sick of this movie, and the thing is, I didn’t hate it THAT much when I saw it, I was merely disappointed, but all this undeserved attention is making me angry.  Alas, at the end of the day all that matters is the Fistis, so whatever.  Django Unchained may actually happen in a bigger way than I anticipated.


BEST PICTURE: COMEDY OR MUSICAL

 Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

 Les Miserables

 Moonrise Kingdom

 Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

 Silver Linings Playbook


I never expected Salmon Fishing in the Yemen to show up anywhere this season.  I haven’t seen the film yet (been in my Netflix queue for quite a while) but I haven’t heard anything about it and just assumed it was forgotten by all, but apparently the HFPA loved it.  Other than that, I got four correct.  I overestimated Bernie, but I’m glad that it missed since I find it horribly overrated.


BEST DIRECTOR

 Affleck/Argo

 Bigelow/Zero Dark Thirty

 Li/Life of Pi

 Spielberg/Lincoln

 Tarantino/Django Unchained


Again, I underestimated Life of Pi (I need to stop doing that) but I really didn’t see Hooper missing here.  I thought that the HFPA would eat Les Miserables up whole, and they didn’t!  I knew they’d nominate Tarantino here.  They love him (and Weistein) so it was a given.  I’m still not entirely sold on Tarantino making it in with Oscar, but it appears that Li is locked up now.


BEST ACTOR: DRAMA

 Day-Lewis/Lincoln

 Gere/Arbitrage

 Hawkes/The Sessions

 Phoenix/The Master

 Washington/Flight


Again, I got four correct (that seems to be the name of the game here).  I predicted that Hopkins would get in over Gere, but I should have known that Gere’s reviews, being infinitely better, would have worked in his favor here.  The rest of the list is expected.  I’m still not certain as to who gets the shaft from Oscar, Phoenix, Washington, Cooper or Hawkes. 


BEST ACTRESS: DRAMA

 Chastain/Zero Dark Thirty

 Cotillard/Rust + Bone

 Mirren/Hitchcock

 Watts/The Impossible

 Weisz/The Deep Blue Sea


Again, I got four correct here but OMG YAY I’M SO GLAD WEISZ IS IN!!!  I had her predicted after her NYFCC win, but then took her out in favor of the starrier Knightley.  STUPID!  Anyways, this category has a four-way lock up now.  Hitting everything so far, Cotillard, Chastain, Lawrence (nominated in Comedy/Musical) and Watts are all headed to the Kodak.  That fifth spot is open for grabs, and Mirren, Wallis, Weisz and Riva are running for it.  I wouldn’t count out Riva yet.  It isn’t surprising that she didn’t get in here or with SAG.  If she misses with BAFTA then I’d say she’s dead, but not until then.


BEST ACTRESS: COMEDY OR MUSICAL

 Blunt/Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

 Dench/The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

 Lawrence/Silver Linings Playbook

 Smith/Quartet

 Streep/Hope Springs


Well, I only got three right here.  I missed Blunt (who saw that love coming) and Smith (I really thought her movie was dead).  I wasn’t every confident in Streisand (that movie looks dreadful) but she’s a huge star and there didn’t seem to be any other options, and I had a feeling that Mann would show up here since she’s young and a rising star and has been noted for her comedic timing time and time again.  Lawrence will take this in a cakewalk, waltzing her way to the Kodak for what is probably going to be a good night for her.


BEST ACTOR: COMEDY OR MUSICAL

 Black/Bernie

 Cooper/Silver Linings Playbook

 Jackman/Les Miserables

 McGregor/Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

 Murray/Hyde Park on Hudson


Well, I only got three here too.  I kind of thought Murray was completely dead and, again, never saw Salmon Fishing in the Yemen happening.  I thought Jones’ great year would make him a double nominee and that Tatum’s great year would make him at least a nominee here, but whatever.  This SHOULD have been an easy win for Jackman, but the lack of Les Miserables love across the board has me worried he may lose this to Cooper.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

 Adams/The Master

 Field/Lincoln

 Hathaway/Les Miserables

 Hunt/The Sessions

 Kidman/The Paperboy


I actually got 100% here!  Barks is probably dead now, unless BAFTA really loves Les Miserables (which I expect they will) but even then, will it be enough?  Kidman is making a real show here now, so maybe she could happen!  I have a feeling that this could actually be our Oscar lineup.  This has not been a good year for newcomers.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

 Arkin/Argo

 DiCaprio/Django Unchained

 Hoffman/The Master

 Jones/Lincoln

 Waltz/Django Unchained


I’m shocked to see Waltz here since I was under the impression he went Lead here, but it’s Weinstein so I guess he can do whatever he wants.  I only got three of these.  I thought this would be an EASY nomination for McConaughey and so now I’m thinking he’s going to miss with Oscar.  The SAG snub was telling, but this is even MORE telling.  De Niro missing doesn’t mean much, although I thought he was a sure bet as well.  I won’t even speak of Crowe missing.  He’s not happening with Oscar and it depresses the hell out of me.  I’m thinking that in the end, Waltz misses for De Niro and we have our Oscar lineup.


BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

 Amour

The Intouchables

Kon-Tiki

A Royal Affair

Rust and Bone
 

I got four of these, missing Kon-Tiki (Weinstein, I should have known) for War Witch, which had marvelous reviews but hasn’t done shit so far this awards season.


BEST SCREENPLAY

Argo

Django Unchained

Lincoln

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty


Moonrise missing is sad, but I should have known that Zero Dark Thirty was getting in here.  So, I got four, and I expect all five of these to get nominations with Oscar.


BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

 Anna Karenina

 Argo

 Cloud Atlas

 Life of Pi

 Lincoln


I don’t know what I was thinking with this category.  Like, how did I not predict Anna Karenina?  Argo has been doing really well in this category, so why didn’t I switch that?  Why the hell did I predict Brave?  I’m an idiot, apparently.  The Beasts of the Southern Wild snub is sad, but I should have known that wouldn’t happen.  I only got two right here!


BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

 Brave

 Frankenweenie

 Hotel Transylvania

 Rise of the Guardians

 Wreck-It-Ralph


I only got three, missing Rise and Hotel (forgot about that one) for Paranorman and Pirates.  Oh well, this category is confusing with a lot of passion for smaller films and only three locks (Brave, Frankenweenie and Wreck-It Ralph) landing everywhere.


BEST ORIGINAL SONG

 "For You"/Act of Valor

 "Not Running Anymore"/Stand-Up Guys            

 "Safe and Sound"/The Hunger Games

 "Skyfall"/Skyfall

 "Suddenly"/Les Miserables


Yeah, I got two here.  I should have known Swift would be invited to the party.  Is Act of Valor happening? 

6 comments:

  1. Salmon Fishing is quite unremarkable, but I'd halfheartedly recommend it (3/5). And yay Weisz! :)

    Oh, in case you miss my other comment on one of the SAG posts, you can see my current ballot here if you're interested:

    http://awardsdailyforums.com/showthread.php?28757-The-Official-2012-Personal-Ballot-Thread&p=1514932&viewfull=1#post1514932

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've heard Salmon isn't worth seeing...but I'll see it for Ewan and KST. And yes, YAY WEISZ!!!! I hope to god that happens!

      Yeah, I caught your ballot. I post there like 700x's a day (I'm addicted). I almost asked you the other day if you were on there.

      :-D

      Delete
    2. Haha. I'm usually too busy reading other blogs. Otherwise, I might be on there more. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi there fellow LAMB! I would love it if you could enter my Oscar nominations contest. All you have to do is send me the link to your final predictions of the nominees. Hope to see you in the game!

    Check here for more details: http://filmactually.blogspot.com/2012/12/contest-predict-oscar-nominations.html

    ReplyDelete