Thursday, December 20, 2012

Gatsby looks 'almost' great...

The second trailer is up and it looks lavish and breathtaking visually.  I'm a giant fan of Baz's visual style and the way he shapes his films and so I've been really anticipating this for a while.  I actually just read the novel earlier this month and I have to say, while Baz may not be the first director I'd think of when considering an adaptation, I actually think that he could take this extraordinary novel and make it pop on the big screen.  We all know what Coppola did with it in 1974.  We don't want a repeat of that mess.  What troubles me about this adaptation and this trailer is one thing; Leonardo DiCaprio.  He is just all sorts of wrong for this.  I knew when reading the novel that it wasn't going to work and then seeing the trailer confirmed it.  His accent work, his faux charm, his TRYING TOO DAMN HARD.  It made me kind of sick watching it.  I have no qualms with any of the other cast, even though I generally loath all things Maguire.  Carey Mulligan is the female Jesus and should be revered as such by all mortal humans.  She looks wonderful here.  I have high hopes for Edgerton (please break out in the biggest way next year) and I'm intrigued by what Elizabeth Debicki will do with the role of Jordan Baker (since Lois Chiles gives my favorite performance in the 1974 film).  Still, DiCaprio rubs me all sorts of wrong here.  I've never been his biggest fan, but I stand by the fact that his best work was in a Baz film (he should have won the Oscar for Romeo + Juliet, hands fucking down) so I'm reserve all my judgement until the film is actually released and I see it, but right now I'm really nervous about it.
 
 
I mean, that face says it all.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to read the novel before the film's released, but DiCaprio does concern me from the latest trailer. And I'd also love it if Edgerton breaks out next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novel was wonderful, and a very quick read (like barely over 100 pages) so do that. You'll enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books, and the Robert Redford Gatsby is hard to compare with. Leo doesn't bother me (although Brad Pitt 5 years ago may have been a more ideal Gatsby), but I can't get over Mulligan as Daisy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh, I thought the Redford version was sort of terrible (not really sort of) outside of the supporting performances. To me, Mulligan looks rather perfect here. Baz is certainly a director with a unique and different vision, and I think that Carey will work beautifully inside that vision.

      Delete