Monday, December 17, 2012

Fisti Updates

Cinematography for 1991, 2009 and 2011 are up!  Take a peek and let me know what you think. 
 
Speaking of Cinematography, can we talk about Life of Pi raking through with critics' wins and what looks to be the eventual Oscar win.  Seriously, why is this happening?  I understand that the film was beautiful to look at, but are we confusing actual cinematography with CGI?  I mean, 90% of that movie is obviously altered through computer animation, so how can it really be considered true cinematography.  Wouldn't the obvious Visual Effects Oscar win be enough?  I mean, the Visual Effects team basically shot the film.  This reminds me of the Avatar win.  I mean, HOW IS THAT CINEMATOGRAPHY? 
 
 
What are your thoughts on this?

2 comments:

  1. I've only seen your top 3 picks in 1991, and I completely agree with them! Having rewatched Lovers and Veronique recently, I prefer Lovers overall, but Veronique definitely has the better cinematography.

    Great 2009 lineup. Still need to see Sin Nombre.

    Beginners is an inspired pick, and Heartbeats is on my ballot too. For me, it's hard to top The Tree of Life though. Also, I'm surprised Melancholia didn't crack your dozen.

    Yeah, I don't consider it "true cinematography" either. I can kinda understand a film like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button getting a cinematography nod, but Avatar and Life of Pi are ridiculous cinematography picks. Their stunning visuals are visual effects. Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2011 was such a strong year for cinematography. Melancholia would make my top 20 for sure, probably even my top 15. It was such a tight race. I loved The Tree of Life's cinematography, but I'll admit that at times I found it a little obvious and one note. Something like Mysteries of Lisbon had so much texture and depth to each scene.

      And thank you! I don't get this obsession with rewarding visual effects in the cinematography category. I hope this trend dies a quick death very soon.

      Delete