Tuesday, December 11, 2012

BFCA Nominees!


It’s official; the Broadcast Film Critics’ Association have announced their nominees.  I didn’t do too bad predicting these, although I was surprised that they didn’t fawn all over Zero Dark Thirty like everyone else has been.  It’s also disheartening to see that despite the apparent love for Les Miserables, my beloved Russell Crowe is looking out of the running for an Oscar nomination at this point.  I think he really needed a mention here, and sadly that didn’t happen.


Anyways, here are the nominees with some commentary below:

 

BEST PICTURE
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
The Master
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

 

I predicted nine of the ten here, missing The Master in favor of The Impossible.  These are the films in contention for that elusive Oscar nomination at this point, with The Impossible hanging in the wings.  I don’t see anything else factoring in right now, but time will tell.



BEST ACTOR
Bradley Cooper/Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis/Lincoln
John Hawkes/The Sessions
Hugh Jackman/Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix/The Master
Denzel Washington/Flight

 

I went six for six here, as I think most anybody predicting would have.  These are the only names in the mix, unless SAG and Globes resurrect someone like Anthony Hopkins, but the reviews for Hitchcock and the individual praise for Hopkins isn’t enough to catapult him to the final five.  Either Cooper or Hawkes will miss Oscar’s ballot, but I’m still on the fence as to which one. 

BEST ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain/Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard/Rust and Bone
Jennifer Lawrence/Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva/Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis/Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts/The Impossible

 

I also went six for six here, which was a tad harder.  Mirren was certainly a possibility and I was also leaning towards Weisz for a while after her NYFCC win.  Thankfully I took her out for Cotillard at the last minute.  I also think that these six are the only ones really in the Oscar mix, and I’m thinking it’ll come down to Cotillard or Wallis for that final spot.  Wallis hasn’t been appearing in many of the Critic’s nomination ballots, except for in Breakthrough Performance, but that does mean she’s being talked about, which could make her more of a threat than I’m giving her credit for.  For the record, I’ll be more than thrilled for her if she’s nomination since I am a big fan of her performance, but I’m skeptical of her actual chances.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Arkin/Argo
Javier Bardem/Skyfall
Robert De Niro/Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman/The Master
Tommy Lee Jones/Lincoln
Matthew McConaughey/Magic Mike

 

I missed a few here, getting only three correct.  I didn’t bank on Arkin happening and I had kind of given up on Hoffman with the lack of buzz surrounding him at the moment.  Bardem was a surprise.  He got great mentioned when Skyfall opened, but I really didn’t think it would mean anything in the long run.  I may not be a huge fan of Bardem as a whole, but I really liked his performance in Skyfall so I’m happy for him.  Sadly, this was a major knife in the back of the Les Miserables supporting men.  Both Crowe and Redmayne missed here, which is shocking considering that the film was loved.  I’m also baffled with the DiCaprio snub.  I was really sure he’d make it here, and they even nominated Django Unchained in the Best Picture category.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams/The Master
Judi Dench/Skyfall
Ann Dowd/Compliance
Sally Field/Lincoln
Anne Hathaway/Les Misérables
Helen Hunt/The Sessions

 

I was right about Dowd!  I think she’s getting the Oscar nomination, but she’ll have an uphill battle especially since the Globes will most likely snub her and SAG could be a hard sell, but she’s hardworking and probably respected with her peers (been at this for a while) and they like rewarding their own.  I’m sad for Barks, who was snubbed here in favor of Dench.  Dench was great in Skyfall, but I was banking on Barks getting a needed boost from BFCA, and the fact that they loved Les Miserables and still snubbed her may mean that Hathaway is SO far out in front here that there is no room for someone else from her movie to make it in here.

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS
Elle Fanning/Ginger & Rosa
Kara Hayward/Moonrise Kingdom
Tom Holland/The Impossible
Logan Lerman/The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Suraj Sharma/Life of Pi
Quvenzhané Wallis/Beasts of the Southern Wild

 

Wallis has this in a cakewalk, which is great.  Still, I think I kind of prefer Hayward the more I think about it.  Fanning is always amazing, although I haven’t seen her movie yet.  Sharma was awful, but whatever.  I’ve yet to see Lerman or Holland, but I’ve heard great things about them both.  This will probably come down to Wallis and Holland with Wallis, being the only Oscar chance, coming out on top.  The only thing that makes me somewhat question that is Horn’s win from last year.

 

I didn’t predict these, but I should have.

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
Argo
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Misérables
Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook

 

I only guessed five here, and all five made it.  I wasn’t expecting The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to make it.  I’m wondering if it has a shot with SAG too.  I expect Les Miserables to take this rather easily, even if Lincoln ends up taking the SAG.  BFCA loved Les Miserables, and the cast is huge, which they like.

BEST DIRECTOR
Ben Affleck/Argo
Kathryn Bigelow/Zero Dark Thirty
Tom Hooper/Les Misérables
Ang Lee/Life of Pi
David O. Russell/Silver Linings Playbook
Steven Spielberg/Lincoln

 

I went five for six here, hoping that they would respond to Hanake over Lee (what is it with Life of Pi this year?) but alas, this is pretty expected in the long run.  To all those counting Hooper out thanks to some poor reviews, critics mean shit to actual awards bodies with different tastes.  Critics also get personal, which can be a bad thing for prognosticators.  I still say Hooper is very much in at this point.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Django Unchained
Flight
Looper
The Master
Moonrise Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty

 

Flight and Looper, really?  With Flight’s reviews I really thought that was dead outside of Washington.  I got four of these right.  I only guessed five, so I guess that’s alright.  I really expected Amour to do better here.  I’m still hopeful for the Oscars, since I doubt Looper is something their relate to very well.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Argo
Life of Pi
Lincoln
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Silver Linings Playbook

 

So what’s up with six Original but only five Adapted?  I missed Life of Pi for Beasts of the Southern Wild.  Oh well, I should have known.  I was predicting Life of Pi for nearly everything all year and dropped it after I saw the film and was so disappointed.  BAD PROGNOSTICATING!!!  I’ll be more careful next time.  Perks is having quite the boost as of late, but I still don’t see Oscar biting here.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
The Master
Skyfall

 

I’m so happy for Deakins, who pulled off such amazing work on Skyfall.  I really thought that Zero Dark Thirty was getting in here, missing The Master (can’t believe I dropped that) here.  Oh well.  I expect Oscar to nominate Zero Dark Thirty everywhere, so expect it to get in here with them.  I just hope Life of Pi doesn’t win here.  It is beautiful to look at, sure, but that is CGI and not the same thing as true cinematography. 

BEST ART DIRECTION
Anna Karenina
The Hobbit

Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln

 

I missed Life of Pi.  I just want to know, what the hell was so special about the set pieces?  I mean, he was on a fucking boat?  Wow.  Seriously, how does that deserve a nomination here?  I just don’t get it, at all.  Moonrise Kingdom should be here, and it’s a disgrace that they would give it a Best Picture nomination and then snub it in areas that make the most sense (more on that in a minute).

BEST EDITING
Argo
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

 

I predicted Silver Linings Playbook to get in here via The Descendants, but instead they went with…LIFE OF PI.  I can’t get this, even though I didn’t predict it.  Still, I have a feeling that movie is going to be a thorn in my side this season.  The rest were expected, and I think this could very easily be out Oscar set list as well, with Silver Linings Playbook an outside contender.

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Anna Karenina
Cloud Atlas
The Hobbit
Les Misérables
Lincoln

 

I missed Cloud Atlas and The Hobbit, going with Mirror Mirror (which is dead) and Moonrise Kingdom (which should be WINNING here).  Seriously, these Moonrise snubs are pissing me off.  Anna will probably take this rather easily, unless Les Mis love is overwhelming and it takes this too.  

BEST MAKEUP
Cloud Atlas
The Hobbit
Les Misérables
Lincoln

 

I predicted all four of these.  I predicted six, but they only went with  four (snubbing Hitchcock). 

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Avengers
Cloud Atlas
The Dark Knight Rises
The Hobbit
Life of Pi

 

I fucked this up.  I should have known that The Dark Knight Rises was getting in here, but I overestimated The Impossible and really thought Skyfall love would spill over.  This could very easily be Oscar’s set list as well.  Life of Pi will win this in a cakewalk, and it will be ridiculously deserved so YAY!

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Brave
Frankenweenie
Madagascar 3
ParaNorman
Rise of the Guardians
Wreck-It Ralph

 

I predicted five of these.  I only predicted five, so I count this as a win for me.  Rise of the Guardians has horrid reviews right now, so I’m shocked to see it land here.  Is it too late to hope and pray that Wreck-It Ralph starts to dominate here and take the win from Burton?

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Amour
The Intouchables
A Royal Affair
Rust and Bone

 

I’m shocked that Holy Motors missed here.  A Royal Affair was on my first draft of predictions and then I dropped it for Oslo, August 31st (wishful thinking on my part) and it bit me in the ass.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Bully
The Central Park Five
The Imposter
The Queen of Versailles
Searching for Sugar Man
West of Memphis

 

I never understand this category.  It changes with every awards body.  I got three of these right.  Boo.

BEST SONG
“For You”/Act of Valor
“Learn Me Right”/Brave
“Skyfall”/Skyfall
“Still Alive”/Paul Williams Still Alive
“Suddenly”/Les Misérables

 

I didn’t see the Act of Valor nomination coming, but I almost predicted that Still Alive song.  I got the other three right, overestimating Holy Motors and Snow White and the Huntsman.  This category is forever strange though.  I still think Suddenly is going to sweep awards season here.

BEST SCORE
Argo/Alexandre Desplat
Life of Pi/Mychael Danna
Lincoln/John Williams
The Master/Jonny Greenwood
Moonrise Kingdom/Alexandre Desplat

 

I missed two of these, trading in Moonrise Kingdom (such a deserved nomination) and Argo for Beasts and Zero Dark Thirty.  Life of Pi should win out of this set, but I have a feeling that Lincoln will.  Whatever.

 

 

And then apparently they went all MTV Movie Awards this year…

BEST ACTION MOVIE
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Looper
Skyfall

BEST ACTOR IN AN ACTION MOVIE
Christian Bale/The Dark Knight Rises
Daniel Craig/Skyfall
Robert Downey Jr./The Avengers
Joseph Gordon-Levitt/Looper
Jake Gyllenhaal/End of Watch

BEST ACTRESS IN AN ACTION MOVIE
Emily Blunt/Looper
Gina Carano/Haywire
Judi Dench/Skyfall
Anne Hathaway/The Dark Knight Rises
Jennifer Lawrence/The Hunger Games

BEST COMEDY
Bernie
Silver Linings Playbook
Ted
This Is 40
21 Jump Street

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Jack Black/Bernie
Bradley Cooper/Silver Linings Playbook
Paul Rudd/This Is 40
Channing Tatum/21 Jump Street
Mark Wahlberg/Ted

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Mila Kunis/Ted
Jennifer Lawrence/Silver Linings Playbook
Shirley MacLaine/Bernie
Leslie Mann/This Is 40
Rebel Wilson/Pitch Perfect

BEST SCI-FI/HORROR MOVIE
The Cabin in the Woods
Looper
Prometheus


It would be hilarious if Cooper and Lawrence both lost in the Comedy categories AND in the main acting categories.  I mean, it is possible.  If Jack Black (who has loud supporters) and Mann or Wilson surprise it would be great, not because I dislike the Silver Linings duo (I haven’t seen the film yet) but because the irony would be too much.  I mean, you know that these new categories are here so that they can give awards to more people and obviously Cooper and Lawrence were in mind when this was done, so their loss would be hilarious.

 

Anyways, here it is.  Make of it what you will.

1 comment:

  1. The DiCaprio snub is probably because Christoph Waltz is now being campaigned in the supporting category too, which is unfortunate for Leo.

    Perks is interesting. It keeps getting notice from the critics, but it just missed with SAG and probably will with the Golden Globes. Don't see any Oscar love either.

    I don't expect Life of Pi to do that well with the Oscars.

    Best of the new categories: Hathaway's TDKR nom and Pitch Perfect's nom (at least it got something). :)

    ReplyDelete