Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday morning misty eyes…


So, this is going to be my last post for a while.  I’m heading off for Europe and will be gone for nearly three weeks.  It is a much needed vacation, and I’m beyond excited for it, but it is also bittersweet since I’ve been enjoying blogging so much over the past three months that letting go of the reins seems disheartening at the moment.

Before I go I wanted to blog a bunch of random stuff, so let’s have at it.

First, I want to wrap up the remainder of my October Oscar predictions.  I have a few categories left to update and while I wanted to do more extensive posts on each of the remaining categories, time got away from me.  So, here’s what I’m thinking at the moment.

Makeup:

Hitchcock

Les Miserables

Lincoln

I’m sticking with the three I had predicted from last month.  It looks pretty obvious at this point.  Oscar loves old age makeup and prosthetics and from the trailers alone Hitchcock and Lincoln have everything that Oscar responds to.  Les Miserables is a gamble at this point based solely on some knowledge of the screenplay and some scenes that could really play heavily on the makeup department.  That, that the film is going to be nominated for everything, you know that right?

Sound Editing:

The Dark Knight Rises

The Impossible

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Zero Dark Thirty

I’m letting go of The Avengers (probably stupidly) and throwing in Lincoln, and I’m betting on Zero Dark Thirty (how did I miss that last month) to take the place of Prometheus.  I still think that Life of Pi or The Impossible will take this, and right now I’m hedging my bets on The Impossible.

Sound Mixing:

Argo

The Dark Knight Rises

Les Miserables

Life of Pi

Zero Dark Thirty

Not knowing exactly how these categories work, I’m going with word of mouth by friends who understand the difference between Mixing and Editing more than I.  I’ve been told that Argo and Les Miserables will play heavily here.  Here is my thing though, this category usually rewards the same film that was rewarded in Editing, so could it really be possible that The Impossible wins in Editing and Les Miserables wins in Mixing with neither being even nominated in the opposite category?

Original Score:

Anna Karenina

Brave

Frankenweenie

Life of Pi

The Master

I’m most confident in Anna Karenina, since Marianelli is a god and both of his scores for Wright films have been embraced.  The Master could fail here, since Greenwood failed before, and these more experimental type scores don’t always go over with AMPAS unless the force of the film is undeniable.  Elfman is always a safe bet here, and Doyle’s work on Brave is so nicely orchestrated into the film (and it’s something unique to the film itself) that I could see it snagging a nomination here.

Animated Film:

Brave

Frankenweenie

Paranorman

Le Tableau

Wreck-It Ralph

I just have no clue who is going to win this.  The reviews for Brave and Frankenweenie just don’t constitute wins at this point (and I really thought this was going to Burton in a cakewalk).  I can’t see Paranorman winning, but what if there are only three…and it’s those three?  This is like 2005 (or was it 2006) when Happy Feet won.  Like, that year was so weird in this category (Cars?).  Maybe Wreck-It Ralph could win.  You have to admit, the movie looks amazing!

Foreign Film:

A Royal Affair (Denmark)

Amour (Austria)

The Intouchables (France)

Lore (Australia)

War Witch (Canada)

I’m tossing in Lore here, since I hear nothing but good things for its Oscar chances at this point.  Still, with Wienstien and the whole ‘heartwarming’ aspect in its corner, it’ll take a LOT to unsettle Intouchables chances at the win here.

 

So that’s that for that.

 

Next, check this out!  I saw this trailer the other day and was spellbound.  I’ve heard nothing but great things for Holy Motors, so I’m anticipating this like crazy!  I still have no real clue what this is about, but I’m ok with that.  I’ve heard some rumble about this trailer that it spoils too much because it shows too much, but not knowing much about the storyline I can honestly say that the context here seems ambiguous and so I don’t feel like anything has been spoiled for me.  I just cannot wait to experience this for myself!

 

Lastly, I want to remind everyone of my Blog-a-Thon, to go live on the 12th of November.  Don’t forget about it!  You can read about it here. 

 

And, just for you Josh:

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Haha. Thanks for that! And yes, I played the whole video. ;)

    I agree with most of your predictions, except I'm not convinced on the Frankenweenie (score) and The Impossible (sound editing) nods just yet.

    I'm dying to see Holy Motors. That might be my second most anticipated behind Les Mis.

    Still haven't decided on my blogathon pick, but I'll get that sorted.

    Enjoy your vacation!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading all your predictions! Have a wonderful time in Europe!

    ReplyDelete