Monday, September 17, 2012

Monday morning ramblings…


So I had a long weekend away from the blog and missed a ton of movie related stuff and am ready to get back into the swing of things.


First off, Thursday brought us the official trailer for ‘Lincoln’.  This is one of the big end of year Oscar movies that had as of yet to show us anything more than a promotional picture of DDL and that already iconic poster (yes, I love it) and so cinephiles around the world waiting eagerly on Thursday morning to catch a glimpse of the obvious Oscar winner (all except myself, who was crammed in a car with the family headed towards Sea World) and then we were shown this:


 

I know I’m not the only one who is extremely underwhelmed by this mess.  First of all, everyone looks ridiculous.  I have this predicted as the makeup Oscar winner at this point, and I’m not quick to change it based on this trailer alone, but is it just me or does everyone look like they are working at one of those Civil War Reenactment things?  That poster instilled so much confidence in DDL as at least an Oscar nominee, but the trailer underuses him (we only hear him talk like once) that I’m worried he underperforms.  Are they afraid to show us this performance?  The trailer makes it seem like they are ashamed of it.  Field looks like she’s back to overacting, and all that we thought about Strathairn being the standout supporting player could be wrong, since I didn’t even see him in this and Tommy Lee Jones is the one mentioned in the roll call. 


But that really isn’t the worst of it.  Watch the trailer again.  Is it just me or does it resembled this:


 

What is wrong with Spielberg?  Can’t we have a biopic that isn’t this…obvious?  I mean, the score is basically the same score used in all these motivational heartwarming films and the feel of this trailer was so sappy and manipulating that I wanted to throw up.  In all honesty, I wasn’t anticipating this all that much outside of its obvious Oscar chances, but I did want something a little ‘earthier’ and instead I got more schmaltz.  Come on Steven.  You did Munich.  We all know that you still have some grit, but this looks like a Ron Howard film without Russell Crowe, who is like the only reason to watch a Ron Howard film.

 
On another note, Silver Linings Playbook won TIFF, so I think it’s safe to say that it is getting in with Oscar in a big way.  TIFF doesn’t always have the best track record with Oscar (of the past 34 winners, only 10 have gone on to be Best Picture nominees), the general consensus of Silver Linings Playbook and the critical reception mixed with the fact that O. Russell is a newly inducted director and that Lawrence is a major threat to win the Best Actress Oscar all work in the film’s favor and pretty much assure it a spot in the final Best Picture ballot.  I don’t think it will win, especially with a film like Argo (more socially important and politically relevant) or Les Miserables (big, epic, nostalgic) in the race, but it’ll get the nomination.


Lastly (for the moment), being at Sea World made me think of Marion Cotillard and her Oscar chances this year and, well, just her in general since she’s like one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet and so I wanted to take a few moments to bask in her beauty.


Enjoy.




4 comments:

  1. Yeah, you're right, it looks an awful lot like 'War Horse'. Ugh. I'm sure it will be better than I expect, but right now I'm watching the trailer and already thinking of it as a chore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's better than I expect it to be...because if it's worse than it's going to be a LONG Oscar season.

      Delete
  2. Haha. I tweeted this on Thursday: "Going by the trailer, Spielberg's "Lincoln" looks worse than "The Iron Lady". Maybe DDL will win Best Actor after all."

    I think The Silver Linings Playbook is now officially in, but possibly only for Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

    Ooh, gorgeous pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, and like the one film worse than The Iron Lady last year was...War Horse! I want this to be good, because Spielberg was at one time a GREAT director, but this just looks terrible.

      And yes, I'm with you on Silver Linings Playbook. Those are the three I currently have it predicted for.

      Delete