Monday, September 10, 2012

Merry Monday...

The weekend is over.  How was yours?  Mine was pretty epic.  Now really, but it’s always nice to over-exaggerate in order to make yourself feel better about doing almost nothing.  My best friend had a baby (well, his wife did) so totally yay for that.  I’d try to spin that into something cinematic, and yet a top ten list of the best on-screen births is just too much for me to handle this early in the morning (before coffee and all).
 
The big thing I took away from this weekend is that I’ll have to overhaul that few categories I’ve already got done for my September Oscar predictions, since Silver Lining Playbook has generated more buzz than I wanted to accept it could garner, and the raves for Jennifer Lawrence are pretty much assuring her a nomination.  This is kind of bizarre to me.  If Lawrence is nominated it will make her the youngest actress to get two LEAD nominations.  I’m at a loss for words.  I just don’t get this Lawrence love, like at all.  Most young actresses that generate such wide-acclaim have at least one of two things going for them.  They are either ridiculously talented or they are gorgeous.  Lawrence is neither.  She’s just so bland on both accounts.  I don’t get it.  I don’t know that I want to get it.  I’ve liked her twice, loved her never and was bored by her multiple times.  And, like, she ‘acts’ too obviously for my taste.  I don’t want to watch you act sweetheart.


But I understand that I’m alone here, or at least in a very small minority, so I digress.
Cinematically, I saw ‘Europa’ this weekend.  Still trying to wrap up my 1991 Fisti Awards, and it was on my ‘must see this before finalizing anything’ list.  I’m still trying to collect my thoughts, but MY GOD is cinematography going to be a bloodbath this year.  Between ‘Europa’, ‘Raise the Red Lantern’, ‘The Double Life of Veronique’, ‘Point Blank’ and ‘Barton Fink’ I’m just in complete awe of this category, and that isn’t even counting films like ‘Dogfight’, ‘Delicatessen’, ‘Solo Con tu Pareja’ and ‘The Silence of the Lambs’, all of which are expertly shot.  I’m going to have a hard time narrowing this down to five nominees, even if the winner is rather obvious.

Seriously people.

6 comments:

  1. I'm just "meh" on Lawrence. For me, she's good, but not Oscar quality good.

    Europa has great cinematography. I wonder: Is Max von Sydow in contention for a Supporting Actor nod? I seriously think I'd nominate him for his fantastic voiceover work in the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His voiceover was fantastic, but 1991 is ridiculously strong. At the moment, I have these twelve names in contention, with no room for a mere voice. That being said, he was probably my favorite aspect of the ENTIRE film.

      Russell Crowe/Proof
      Ice Cube/Boyz N' the Hood
      Robert Downey Jr./Soapdish
      Claude Dreyfus/Delicatessen
      Laurence Fishburne/Boyz N' the Hood
      Danny Glover/Grand Canyon
      John Goodman/Barton Fink
      Samuel L Jackson/Jungle Fever
      Tommy Lee Jones/JFK
      Harvey Keitel/Thelma and Louise
      Ted Levine/The Silence of the Lambs
      James Russo/My Own Private Idaho

      Delete
    2. If I counted Proof as a 1991 release, Russell Crowe would beat Fishburne. It was released in the US in 1992 though, so Crowe loses to Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs) that year.

      I haven't seen 5 of these performances, but that's a solid lineup. Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children are next in my Netflix queue, and I've seen parts of Barton Fink. Also, I still need to see Soapdish, Jungle Fever, and My Own Private Idaho.

      Delete
    3. I always juggle dates with my own personal awards. It gets complicated with certain foreign fare, especially if they don't see a US release for years (sometimes never) after their initial release in their home country. I always wind up putting those films in limbo where they best fit in with my Fisti Awards. I put Proof in 1991 because I can hand it a slew of nominations. 1992 is tighter for me in certain categories, so I opt for Australia's release date. Romper Stomper on the other hand is placed in 1993, since that is when it officially released in the US and that is where I can dole out a win to Crowe and not dismiss nominations for other actors since 1992 is packed in the Lead Actor category. Crowe would win in any year, but I have less to nominate in 1993.

      I know, it's rather jacked up but it's how I role :-P

      Delete
    4. Haha. Me too. I consider Romper Stomper and Proof 1992 releases, but my system isn't consistent. For instance, I consider La Dolce Vita a 1961 film because of its Oscar recognition that year, but L'Avventura a 1960 one since it was first released then, without any Oscar recognition in 1961.

      But what about films like The Umbrellas of Cherbourg? It was nominated in 1964 AND 1965 by the Academy. I'd consider it a 1965 release, but it's not an exact science. :)

      Delete
    5. Usually if it was up for Oscars, I go with that year...and if it was up in multiple years (like one year for foreign film and the following for things like screenplay and director) then I go for the year where it was eligable for the main competition...so the later...but it really is all over the place for me.

      Honestly, it is wherever I think it fits best ;-)

      Delete