Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sight & Sound



I know this is semi-old news, at least in this day and age where everything gets blogged about the second it happens, sometimes a few seconds before, but I just today finally got around to digging into the Sight & Sound 2012 Polls and I have to say, I'm about to kill my entire day over here.  For all of you interested, this site is interactive with a complete list of films voted on, their ranking and just a slew of other features, which also allows you to search for films per director or year and see how many votes they garnered.  It's pretty fun and time consuming.  Of Sight and Sounds top ten, I've seen seven.  I still need to see The Searchers, Sunrise and Man With a Movie Camera.  I have The Searchers and Sunrise on my DVR and I just put Man With a Movie Camera to the top of my Netflix queue.  SO...maybe in a week or two I'll be able to weigh in on my feelings on their top ten.  If you're interested in my current top ten, look no further than my banner above.

For clarification:

1) Jules et Jim
2) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3) Pierrot le fou
4) La dolce vita
5) La double vie de Véronique
6) Some Like it Hot
7) The Red Shoes
8) The Awful Truth
9) The Last Picture Show
10) In the Bedroom

All but my top 3 are subject to being completely revamped as far as order is concerned, and quite frankly films like 'The Magnificent Ambersons', 'E.T.' and 'Fa yeung nin wa' are constantly inching there way to overtaking my top ten.  As you can see, there are NONE of Sight & Sound's top ten here, but that isn't negating the greatness of their selections.  Like I said, I still have three to see.  We'll dig into this a little more once I get caught up.  Give me a week or two, and then we'll hash this all out.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I could waste hours looking through those lists.
    You haven't seen The Searchers? Ooh, do that soon.
    I should be seeing Man With a Movie Camera soon myself. And I also need to see Tokyo Story and The Rules of the Game out of the S&S top 10.
    Nice top 10 list by the way.
    Oh, are you on letterboxd? If you're not and want to give it a try, I can send you an invite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not on letterboxd. I saw that you had one set up on your blog. I'm not sure how it works or whatever, but sure...send me an invite and I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete