Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How great are your expectations?



So, I'm currently listening to 'Great Expectations' on audiobook while I do my nightly run (not something I recommend, but I'll get to that in a minute) and so I'm really excited for this years adaptation of the film.  In all oddity, as popular and well known as this classic novel is, I've never read it and I've yet to even see ONE of the film adaptations.  Considering that this year was the year of the litterary adaptation (you know, until Gatsby got moved) I decided that I was going to try and tackle as many of them as I could before Oscar night.  I doubt I'll plow through Les Miserables and Anna Karenina, so Great Expectations it is.  Anyways, like I said, I'm listening to this on audiobook.  I don't like this much at all.  Hearing one man with an oddly uncomforting voice trying his hand at a slew of voices for every character is just wrong and makes the story itself seem far more campy than it should be, so I plan on actually READING the novel after I'm through listening to it.  Anyways, it's extremely intriguing and has me wanting to see the Hawke/Paltrow 1997 film soon.  Maybe I'll Netflix it once I'm through with the book.  So, that brings me to Mike Newell's current adaptation, set for the end of the year.  The trailer just popped up on YouTube and it looks VERY good.  Sadly, it is one of those trailers that gives EVERYTHING away (it spoiled half of the book for me) but my lord does it look like trashy fun, in a good way.  My one disconcerting thought comes int he form of Jeremy Irvine, who was just plain awful in that 'War Horse' disaster from last year, but that story was so bad that any actor would probably have come off kind of gross.

ANYWAYS...what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. It looks ok. I've seen the 1947 Lean version and the 1997 one, but it's been years since. From what I remember, the Lean one was the better film, but the 1997 version was decent. This version looks like it could be one of those films that pops ups in Best Costume Design. Not sure if it can even pull that off though.

    ReplyDelete