Monday, January 31, 2011

Kill the troll...

Yesterday was beyond depressing.  At about six in the afternoon I pulled up Awardsdailyforums.com to check the outcome of the DGA and found out that my beloved David Fincher LOST to that troll Tom Hooper.  How the hell did that happen?  I understand that the disgusting PGA win for The King’s Speech gave it a seemingly small lead on The Social Network for Oscar’s big prize, but I was certain that David Fincher had the directing Oscar IN THE BAG.  Then the DGA happened.  Feeling sick to my stomach I went home and mentally prepared myself for the SAG awards, psyching myself out for a win for The Social Network in Best Ensemble, sealing its frontrunner status with Oscar.  Then, the worst possible thing in the world happened.  The King’s Speech won the big prize.

What is with all this sudden support for this King’s movie?

Now listen, I have nothing against The King’s Speech.  It is an enjoyable film that works well within the bounds of the genre it’s a part of and I liked it, BUT it has NOTHING on The Social Network.  Let’s not even address the fact that The Social Network has performed near total domination over the precursors and snagged nearly every top honor with the critics across the board, but the film itself is everything everyone says it is.  I mean, honestly, the more I think about it the more I’m convinced that this film IS the film of its generation.  It captures all of the essential elements of a memorable cinematic experience, but it takes it up a notch by remaining surprisingly poignant in a modern and relatable setting.  Maybe that is the drawback with Oscar.  Maybe the older Academy voters are turned off by the blatantly modernized setting of it all.  This isn’t your typical Oscar winner.  It isn’t a war film.  It isn’t a period film.  It isn’t even a film about middle aged couples (another Oscar favorite).  This is a film about a bunch of self-centered teenage entrepreneurs. 

I can’t think of anything LESS Oscar than that.

So, this weekend gave me the opportunity to come to terms with Oscar’s inevitable Best Picture choice.  Harvey Weinstein will buy himself another Oscar and we’re looking at another Shakespeare in Love surprise victory.  Or, maybe it’s more like what Crash did to Brokeback Mountain, considering a similar critics sweep between Brokeback Mountain and The Social Network.  But, here’s the thing; in both of those incidences the right man won the directing Oscar.

If David Fincher loses I’ll break my freaking TV.
Honestly, I don’t understand this DGA win for Hooper.  I mean, I’ve been a longstanding fan of David Fincher for years.  He’s a brilliant auteur that is finally getting the recognition he deserves.  Personally, I’d have nominated him a few times now, coming close to giving him a win in 95 for his remarkably toned work in Se7en.  As much as I kind of hated The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and as much as I felt that Fincher’s directorial efforts were some of the least effective of his career, I was so happy to see Oscar FINALLY nominate him.  The fact of the matter is, what David Fincher accomplished in The Social Network is the best of his career and is, without question, the best directorial accomplishment this year.  This should easily be his golden ticket.  I’m getting nervous. 

I’ll wait and see, and as of now I’m still putting my money on Fincher for the win, but I’m getting my middle fingers ready for Oscar’s big flub.

No comments:

Post a Comment